News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tonebender 3 knob temp stablising diode

Started by chromesphere, April 01, 2014, 05:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys,
Made up a few fabbed boards of the tonebender 3 knob, sounds really nice and easy to get going!  I had a question about that temp stabilising diode.  Does it specifically need to be a 1n270?  What is the parameter that we are trying to aim for here?  Leakage (of the diode)?  I subbed it on my 2nd prototype and of course works fine but I haven't taken to q3 with a blow torch so not sure if replacing that 1n270 with an oa1160 is actually going to function as it should or not!
Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

dondougie

You can use any germanium diode, even a germanium transistor (B/E). It doesn't make a difference in this case. I've used 1N34A and some unspecified Smallbear germanium before, the results are the same.

chromesphere

Thanks Don!  So I guess the way to check its doing its job is to apply heat to q3 and check q3 vb / vc?

dondougie

I think that should work, but I wouldn't take it that far. The MKIII/IV circuit is the most forgiving and uncomplicated Tonebender variation, and sounds the same with a wide range of transistor gains/leakages. So as long as it works and sounds good, it should be ok.

Edit: One important thing that I forgot: In my experience, the MKIII sounds infinitely better with a battery (Zinc-carbon) when compared to a power supply.

chromesphere

Edit: that's interesting Don.  Why would you say the battery makes a difference?  Does a zinc carbon have a lower voltage (8.4v)?

That's the first thing I noticed too Don.  Messed around with different gains / leakages made very little difference to the sound of this circuit.  Its a perfect beginner tonebender imo!

twin1965

The zinc carbon battery debate has been going on for years! Some pedal makers recommend that you use these (on fuzz face type circuits) for better tone. I haven't experimented with this so I don't know whether it makes a difference or not. There are several theories around that try to explain why it makes a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

madbean

There is an A/B comparison b/w zinc and alkaline in a fuzz on the Analogman site. They do indeed sound different in the clips but it isn't exactly scientific, FWIW.

midwayfair

You have to apply heat to both the transistor and diode simultaneously. The diode has leakage, too, and you're protecting against environmental temperature changes, not just in the transistor.

Quote from: chromesphere on April 01, 2014, 08:54:47 AM
Edit: that's interesting Don.  Why would you say the battery makes a difference?  Does a zinc carbon have a lower voltage (8.4v)?

Different batteries have different internal impedances.

Personally, I think just putting a resistor in series with a power supply makes it sound similar to running on a battery ...

dondougie

Quote from: chromesphere on April 01, 2014, 08:54:47 AM

I don't know, I just read it somewhere, probably on Analogman, and they are 1€ for 2, so why not :D
What I do know is that they are pretty inconsistent, most of those 9V blocks have in fact 10,5V or more when they are fresh.

Compared to the ~10V battery, the tone with a regulated 9V supply and now three different MKIII types I built is significantly harsher and stiffer, and I can't dial in a warm sound at all. It also has some nasal mids at extreme gain settings, the battery is perfect with none of those problems.

chromesphere

Thanks for the info! So I guess you wouldn't want a really leaky ge diode, if there even is such a thing.  I don't think I'm going to worry about it too much though and just recommend "any ge diode" in the build doc for this one. 
Cheers
Paul