News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

anyone here use avnet?

Started by flanagan0718, March 31, 2014, 07:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Aside form the web site being terrible, should I believe the lead times? I checked on some of the most common parts we use and its showing a min of 4-6 week lead time. Anybody use them that could shed some light?

RobA

Quote from: flanagan0718 on March 31, 2014, 07:35:07 PM
Aside form the web site being terrible, should I believe the lead times? I checked on some of the most common parts we use and its showing a min of 4-6 week lead time. Anybody use them that could shed some light?

I use Avnet all the time. Their web site is a disaster. One thing to note is that the site works better in some browsers than others and which browser is best changes from time to time.

I believe the lead times listed are those from the factory to them on parts that they don't have in stock. So, the lead times are those quoted to them from the manufacturer. I think these are more for large scale orders that would need to be known by a manufacturer of end products. Often a part is available as a different line item even though it shows out of stock on one line. These can be different because of packaging and so forth, but also just because of minimum order quantity. I always click on the in-stock checkbox after I get down to the specific parts I'm looking for and this helps. But, then some of the website issues show up. This is where the strange thing happens where other search terms can stomp on what you are looking for and I have to hit the browser back arrow to get back to my search. Still, it's worth that frustration to be able to get to the listing of which particular line items they have for the part you are searching for.

Personally, I never order anything from Mouser, Avnet, or Digi-Key that isn't in stock when I place the order. But, my experience with Avnet has been that if they say a part is in stock, it is and they ship them out fast and I have the order in a couple of days.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

gjcamann

I've ordered from there once, I got a butt load of name brand caps and resistors for the same price as Tayda from their Excess Inventory section. But then shipping was like $15 to NY!! so I had to make the order big to make it worthwhile. I don't think I saved anything in the end. But delivery time was reasonable.

flanagan0718

Quote from: RobA on March 31, 2014, 08:00:55 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on March 31, 2014, 07:35:07 PM

I use Avnet all the time. Their web site is a disaster. One thing to note is that the site works better in some browsers than others and which browser is best changes from time to time.

I believe the lead times listed are those from the factory to them on parts that they don't have in stock. So, the lead times are those quoted to them from the manufacturer. I think these are more for large scale orders that would need to be known by a manufacturer of end products. Often a part is available as a different line item even though it shows out of stock on one line. These can be different because of packaging and so forth, but also just because of minimum order quantity. I always click on the in-stock checkbox after I get down to the specific parts I'm looking for and this helps. But, then some of the website issues show up. This is where the strange thing happens where other search terms can stomp on what you are looking for and I have to hit the browser back arrow to get back to my search. Still, it's worth that frustration to be able to get to the listing of which particular line items they have for the part you are searching for.

Personally, I never order anything from Mouser, Avnet, or Digi-Key that isn't in stock when I place the order. But, my experience with Avnet has been that if they say a part is in stock, it is and they ship them out fast and I have the order in a couple of days.

Hmm good to know. I'll have to look a little closer and see what I find. I just took a quick look to compare prices but didn't really read into any of it. Thanks.

Haberdasher

i made a good size order there once.  the weird thing was the stuff came from 2 different warehouses and iirc, i had to pay some shipping for each package.  it was like the caps came from one place and the ic's came from another.  i tried to figure out by looking at each individual product to see if i could tell which warehouse it would come from, but it was hopeless.  still the prices were good on everything.  particularly on the epcos caps and LT1054, and TL072.  in that same order i got 100 BC550C for under $2.  i think they are sold out now though.

shipping wasn't slow at all, that i remember.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

RobA

Quote from: Haberdasher on March 31, 2014, 09:26:02 PM
i made a good size order there once.  the weird thing was the stuff came from 2 different warehouses and iirc, i had to pay some shipping for each package.  it was like the caps came from one place and the ic's came from another.  i tried to figure out by looking at each individual product to see if i could tell which warehouse it would come from, but it was hopeless.  still the prices were good on everything.  particularly on the epcos caps and LT1054, and TL072.  in that same order i got 100 BC550C for under $2.  i think they are sold out now though.

shipping wasn't slow at all, that i remember.

They ship TI parts from the TI warehouse (or something like that). I think they have a deal with them to do distribution from there. When I got my first order from them, I saw the double charge come up and I contacted them on their online support line. They told me that the second charge would be removed once it shipped. They actually have deleted the second shipping charge on every order I've made from them, but it is a bit weird to see because it only shows up on their final invoices that the second charge was set to zero. I don't know if this is their standard practice or if it is only because I contacted them about it. If you still have the invoices, you may want to check to see what they did in the end.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jubal81

Made a big Epcos cap order not too long ago and it came in a ridiculously oversized box and none of the packs were labeled. I had to test them to see which pack was which value. Good price, but it's a bit of a PIA.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

I've only used them for work on specialized parts, but it went through without issue.

Of course, there better not have been issues as I checked the order multiple times before placing it.  Nothing like a $60k non-cancellable, non-returnable order to make you pay attention.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Clayford

I've used them for their excess and special buys. They split your shipping up between multiple warehouses, but your shipping fee if the order is under 10lbs stays the quoted price. I got 100 qty of 4 or 5 values of ECQ's and 50 of an other, 10 TI 4558's and 10 TI Tl072's for 48 Shipped.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

RobA

Quote from: pickdropper on March 31, 2014, 10:35:39 PM
I've only used them for work on specialized parts, but it went through without issue.

Of course, there better not have been issues as I checked the order multiple times before placing it.  Nothing like a $60k non-cancellable, non-returnable order to make you pay attention.  :-)
I'd pay a bit extra on the expedited shipping for that because I wouldn't be able to sleep until it arrived and I knew I hadn't screwed up.

Clayford

Quote from: jubal81 on March 31, 2014, 10:17:01 PM
Made a big Epcos cap order not too long ago and it came in a ridiculously oversized box and none of the packs were labeled. I had to test them to see which pack was which value. Good price, but it's a bit of a PIA.

Mine were marked by part #
ECQ-V1473JM 0.047uF
ECQ-V1H124JL3  0.12uF

as an example

What I thought was excessive... panasonic packed 100qty caps, inside a pink static bag closed with an ESD sticker, inside of a silver static bag closed with an ESD sticker. All of those bags were in a larger silver static bag, closed with an ESD sticker.

RobA

Quote from: Clayford on April 01, 2014, 12:17:18 AM
[...]
What I thought was excessive... panasonic packed 100qty caps, inside a pink static bag closed with an ESD sticker, inside of a silver static bag closed with an ESD sticker. All of those bags were in a larger silver static bag, closed with an ESD sticker.

Oh yeah, they are nuts about this. They make me feel like I'm destroying the planet every time I get an order. What they do with a single ADC/DAC is insane. The worst is when they ship a couple of IC's in a foot and a half of tube. At least with that I feel better because I can keep the tube around and use it to store Tayda IC's that come dumped in a bag.

Clayford

Quote from: RobA on April 01, 2014, 12:29:22 AM
Quote from: Clayford on April 01, 2014, 12:17:18 AM
[...]

Oh yeah, they are nuts about this. They make me feel like I'm destroying the planet every time I get an order. What they do with a single ADC/DAC is insane. The worst is when they ship a couple of IC's in a foot and a half of tube. At least with that I feel better because I can keep the tube around and use it to store Tayda IC's that come dumped in a bag.

This. cut my tubes in half, fit in my drawers now, and kept the parts for exactly that.