News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger One more variable than Neovibe?

Started by luckylulujoe13, March 17, 2014, 04:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckylulujoe13

Hello, I finished a Neovibe but now I am thinking of building a Harbinger One if it has more variation? My Neovibe sounds great but is only effective on the last third(fastest) of the speed knob and last third(deepest) of the depth knob?
Is the Harbinger One more flexible?

madbean

Can you explain what you mean by "effective"? Do you mean your Neovibe does not produce a good vibrato in the 1st 2/3 of the speed knob, or that the speed does not change in that range?

luckylulujoe13

The Neovibe does not produce a good vibrato on the first 2/3 of the depth or the first 2/3 of the speed. My voltages fall in line with those voltages listed on the schematic, except the voltage on the lamp driver circuit are 16V not ~11V given on the schematic. Plus, using an 18vac transformer I am seeing 26V after the diode bridge, which is greater than 17V as described on the schematic.
My lamp is adjusted to a dull glow when speed and depth are down and pulses nicely and brightly when all is up.
I went with a brass box enclosure, with a foil coating inside and the photoresistors are parallel to the PCB, pointing up. The photoresistors are not flat against the board but float a mm or 2 of the board because the legs would not allow the situation of the photoresistors flush.
The sound is rich and swirly, just the range is limited, and certainly seems less variable than vids I have watched.
Attached is the schematic.

midwayfair

Quote from: luckylulujoe13 on March 18, 2014, 03:07:09 PMrich and swirly, just the range is limited

A different taper will be your friend. If you used linear tapers and it's still bunched up, try a reverse log for the speed.

The depth control is a little different, though a different taper will also help. Not that I've built more than a few phase effects like this to compare, but on the Harbinger at least, the effect is really only produced when the depth gets quite high, so there's not nearly as much range on the depth as on the speed. It'll probably always sound like there's no effect until suddenly there is. I used a linear taper on mine, but I don't think even a reverse log would have helped this situation.