News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

In need of advice-suggestions: What Buffer/Booster to build?

Started by Ettore_M, March 01, 2014, 04:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

I need to build an easy project (in a 1590A, so not that easy!  ;D ) and I thought of a buffer/booster for the start of my chain. Has anyone built something like this? The only project that I found is the AMZ Mosfet Booster, the one with the two outputs. But I don't have the parts for it. However, I have the parts for a Crackle Not Okay (Soulsonic's SHO workalike) and I have already built one which I quite liked! And thought I would maybe throw in a vero Klon buffer (switchable ON/OFF), and get done with it.

Any suggestions?

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

midwayfair

The Fatpants 2013 has a buffered bypass option and fits in a 1590A. It's a very good 18V FET buffer and a great sounding preamp when on.

Although I love the AMZ Mosfet booster as a boost, MOSFETs make poor buffers. There's a lot of treble loss despite the good input impedance characteristics, and the drain biasing limits the total headroom. There's really no advantage to doing that ... you can make a separate FET buffer for the bypass with a mere four parts. Plus anything you do to switch the same transistor to buffered bypass output will create horrendous switch pops.

The Klon's buffer is a textbook op amp buffer. There's nothing special about it; it's not even optimal.

jkokura

The Beauty Booster I sell sounds perfect for you. It's a buffer, with a switchable boost function. The buffer is always on, but when you want some Boost you stomp that switch. It can get quite loud, and it's designed to be a pure clean boost, no colouring the signal.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Ettore_M

Guys! First of all, thank you so much for your replies!  :)

I had nothing to do, and I finally went and built a 1590A Crackle Not Okay (had the board already populated) with a switchable ON/OFF buffer using a 1776 Effects' (Thank you Josh!  :D ) future project.  ;)

REALLY awesome sounding combo! And a great tool for my pedalboard!

I'll post a build report in a couple of days!  :)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Micpoc

Quote from: midwayfair on March 01, 2014, 05:07:12 PMThe Klon's buffer is a textbook op amp buffer. There's nothing special about it; it's not even optimal.

Interesting. How would one go about making it "optimal"... other than ditching it an using an entirely different circuit?