News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

XLR Bulk cable - what to buy?

Started by GermanCdn, February 28, 2014, 03:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

So I'm planning a couple of isolation cab builds, not that I'm not happy with my Jet City Iso cab, but I'd like to be able to make a few that are dead silent so I can get some serious crankage, and I'd like to be able to put different cabs in them (1X12, 2X12, bass cab, etc, not going for 4X12 cause it would end up weighing a ton).  Going to be wiring up all of the mics and speaker cables to junction boxes for ease of hookup.

So who builds their own XLR cables, and whose cable do you prefer?  My first instinct is to go with Redco (and either get Canare or Mogami), but any suggestion is welcome.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Leevibe

I recently used some Mogami Neglex 2534 for some studio monitor balanced interconnects. It's nice stuff. It's star quad, which means it uses two pairs of signal conductors + shield as opposed to 1 pair + shield. You wire each pair in parallel. 2 blue wires connect together and 2 white wires connect together at each end. The point of it is for noise and crosstalk rejection. Anyway, it's good quality and my cables are working perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BV79JNU/ref=aw_ls__1?colid=2JNIVQ27S675Z&coliid=IYF1MSO2Q4P33

Leevibe

OOPS!! you don't connect he pairs in series. You connect them in parallel!! Sorry about that. I corrected it in my reply. :)

jkokura

I've used the Belton quad core stuff, and it's the Bomb.

Greatest feature of that cable is that I got it in Calgary, and B&E electronics. Go ask how much it is per foot/metre, and they'll give you a rate that's competitive with the online suppliers.

They also have the American Neutrick ends, and I wouldn't buy anything other than that. I think you could probably get junction/interface boxes/plates from them as well.

Save yourself the shipping and buy local.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Quote from: jkokura on February 28, 2014, 07:47:54 PM
I've used the Belton quad core stuff, and it's the Bomb.

Greatest feature of that cable is that I got it in Calgary, and B&E electronics. Go ask how much it is per foot/metre, and they'll give you a rate that's competitive with the online suppliers.

They also have the American Neutrick ends, and I wouldn't buy anything other than that. I think you could probably get junction/interface boxes/plates from them as well.

Save yourself the shipping and buy local.

Jacob

Thanks, and, umm, why haven't you mentioned B&E before?  If it wasn't going to be -30 tomorrow, I'd go on a shopping spree, but it might have to wait until the thermometer goes above MINUS FREAKING COLD.  It's March, right?  Shouldn't we be done with this (by we, clearly I mean me.  Yorkton will get hammered for another couple of months I'm sure).

Truth be told, I think I've come across them before, I just didn't realize they were a bricks and mortar store. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Dude! You haven't been to B&E? It's like, just around the corner from where AxeMusic used to be, just up from L&M south. I am so surprised right now.

It's where I got my first soldering iron, building cables and modding pedals. I needed some quad core stuff, and got like 100 feet of it there for good prices. They also have the Canare 4 and 6 diameter guitar cable, tonnes of Chinese and American Neutrick and Switchcraft stuff, enclosures, parts, and probably stuff I don't know about. I'd guarantee you can get good solder, and a variety of irons there. Multimeters, probably Oscilloscopes and technical/testing equipment. Common tools and electronics specific stuff as well.

Get your butt down there. Forget the temp. But check and see if they're actually open on Saturday, you might have to go during the a weekday.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Looks like they're only open M-F, will head down there next Friday as I'm off that day.

lincolnic

The last batch of cables I made were Canare's star quad - L-4E6S. As much as it seems like it'd be a pain in the ass to work with, it's actually pretty easy to get the wire pairs together.

Protip: use a razor or Exacto knife to strip the very outermost rubber insulation - it's way too thick for a wire stripper to do much good.

blearyeyes

I have some 24 pair Mogami I bought for my studio 20 years ago and it is still soft and lays down like a pussy cat on a warm summer day...dont know these days what its like..