News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sea Flea

Started by alanp, January 01, 2014, 03:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

So, I was looking through some old build reports, and Pickdropper's 1590A Sea Urchin caught my eye. He described his as "industrial soldering robot time". I decided to build a through-hole component version, just to see if I could.

Yep. I could. I used MB's schematic for this one. Only one problem with the board, missing 4n7 cap, so I used a ceramic one I had lying around. It took longer to box this up than it did the Chasm reverb (although the reverb took far, far, far longer to debug.) Yes, the IC's are socketed  8) I used MLCC caps in some places for the space advantage, as well as low profile electrolytic caps (the 47uF ones are from Chrome :) )

Good sounding delay. Compared to the Cavedweller, it's VERY clean. Oh, and the 3pdt switches from Smallbear come with these funky nuts that are twice as tall as normal ones, so they look more like collars.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

Shared on OSH, under http://oshpark.com/profiles/alanp

see attachment for bom
- Terry Pratchett
My website

pickdropper

Nice job fitting all that in there, Alan.

/always a fan of 1590a builds.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

LaceSensor

Beaut build! nice layout effort too on that one.
The deep blue is a really tasty delay. Sold the one I made but it was a worthy pedal.

jimilee

Man, you know I gotta build it. Does it require the jumper on the pt2399 like the etched one does? I bet the answer is in the build doc isn't  it??
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Now that's an impressive achievement. Love the name, too.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

billstein

Thanks for sharing this Alan. Just ordered some boards.

muddyfox

Just ordered a set as well. If someone wants a board (especially EU folks) lemme know.
Thanks Alan!

jimilee

Are you overseas? (Dumb question) I'm in if shipping isn't more expensive than me just ordering it myself.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

muddyfox

muddyfox

One board for Jimilee, one left...

alanp

Sorry for the dredge, but I need to point out that the resistor and capacitor numbering is NOT as per the Sea Urchin schematic and BOM (that's what I get for rushing...), so you WILL need the bom zipfile I shared earlier in the thread :(
- Terry Pratchett
My website

muddyfox

I was actually gonna follow your BOM anyways but good to know. Thanks!