News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Enderman (Boneyard II)

Started by G.G., February 03, 2014, 04:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

There is no "after" in the current flow.

The LED can't conduct until it has a connection from the positive and negative side of the power supply. So it doesn't "get" 9V until the connection to GND is complete. And if there is a resistor in series with the LED (on either side) the amount of current flow is limited (as per Ohm's Law).

So as long the resistance gets in the path of the diode between the positive and negative sides of the power supply, all is good. 

Is that working for you at all?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

m-Kresol

I think you also mix up Voltage and current in a way.
The diode's brightness is depending on the current going through it, not the voltage. If the voltage would matter, then there'd be a difference if the resistor is before or after the diode, since the voltage will go down at the resistor.
I'll try to explain the current limiting again (although it's not to easy in english for me):
A resistor is an obstacle to the flowing current, so only a set amount XY can pass. That's the maximum. So, there will not be current flowing from the source to ground. And that amount XY is also the exact amount that will flow through the LED since the resistor sets that limit. It's not possible for the current to be higher trough the LED and then basically "accumulate" in front of the resistor.
Maybe just read up on wikipedia. I guess, the article there is better written than my attempts here.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Govmnt_Lacky

G.G.

^^ FINALLY someone puts it in a way I can understand.  :)

lincolnic

Actually, yeah, I do get it now. Thanks for your patience and explanations!

m-Kresol, you were right, I was confusing voltage and current, which I think is what ultimately hung me up. And don't worry, your English is excellent.

flanagan0718

I was finally able to try this CLR method last night and it worked like a charm! Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk