News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus (Just isn't 100%)

Started by peAk, February 18, 2014, 03:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Hi all,

So I am feeling like my Nautilus just isn't working 100% like it should.

I have watched Jon's video demo on youtube, and while I can achieve some of the sounds, it just doesn't seem to be able to achieve all of the sounds. Not only that, but at some settings I start to get some squealing, noise, feedback ect.

I can achieve some decent sounds with the range setting to the left (LED dims with dynamics) but I really can't achieve any decent standard envelope (wha-wha) sounds with the range to the right (LED brightens with dynamics)

Bypass works fine, no grounding noise, LEDs work fine. All the pots work as they should besides the noise/squealing at some settings.

I checked all resistors, capacitors, reseated ICs, checked all soldering, ....

I used the MI1210CLF-R from Smallbear. Only thing I changed I was the Gain pot to a 1MC (which helped). I didn't have any box 1n8 capacitors so I used ceramic 1800pf.

Any ideas?

midwayfair

Quote from: peAk on February 18, 2014, 03:14:00 AMI really can't achieve any decent standard envelope (wha-wha) sounds with the range to the right (LED brightens with dynamics)

Make sure the sweep is at minimum, and I'd suggest sticking to bandpass or low pass. Start with the input gain down and turn it up in small increments. The up range setting is going to sound a lot less ... dramatic. Possibly even "broken" or just squicky. Once you get a little bit of sweeping, you can fiddle with the Peak.

Also, I'm fairly certain I can produce some squealing and feedback with mine in certain settings. It took me a couple days of fiddling to find the settings I used in the video so I didn't look stupid trying to demo a setting that didn't make noise.

peAk

Quote from: midwayfair on February 18, 2014, 04:18:48 PM
Quote from: peAk on February 18, 2014, 03:14:00 AMI really can't achieve any decent standard envelope (wha-wha) sounds with the range to the right (LED brightens with dynamics)

Make sure the sweep is at minimum, and I'd suggest sticking to bandpass or low pass. Start with the input gain down and turn it up in small increments. The up range setting is going to sound a lot less ... dramatic. Possibly even "broken" or just squicky. Once you get a little bit of sweeping, you can fiddle with the Peak.

Also, I'm fairly certain I can produce some squealing and feedback with mine in certain settings. It took me a couple days of fiddling to find the settings I used in the video so I didn't look stupid trying to demo a setting that didn't make noise.

Thanks for the input Jon.

I am going to try what you said and see if I can achieve anything remotely usable. I am still not convinced that there is not something wrong though. At least with the higher range signal. What I may do is record some audio clips and see if this sounds correct.

I fiddled with it for hours and I could not achieve a basic envelope sound like in this persons Nautilus demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQb3QACyJeQ

I could, however, achieve some of the sounds in your demo....mostly the ones in the lower range where you mention that the filter sounds like it's doing multiple things.

I don't mind having a complex effect with a crazy amount of controls because I am also a synth lover.  I just want to make sure that there is not something wrong with part of my build.