News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

AC132 and AC127 transistor for Pasty Face

Started by TimA, August 10, 2014, 08:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimA

Hi, my uncle gave me some old transistors from the AC132 and AC127 type. Would those be suitable for the Pasty Face fuzz? Is there someone who has some experience with these types, how does it sound?

RobA

The AC127's are NPN transistors. The standard Ge transistors in fuzzes are PNP. If you have enough of them that measure to the right gains and leakages, you could build an NPN version of a Fuzz. Another fun thing to do is use some NPN Ge transistors in a couple of the positions in a Big Muff circuit. I've done this with some AC187's and it sounds great.

The AC132's are PNP I think and should work if you can find them in the right gain ranges. I haven't used them though.

I did a quick search for them and it looks like the AC127 and AC132 pair are used as complementary transistors in low power output stages. That could make for some interesting uses.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

TimA

Thanks Rob, can't wait to do some experimenting with them. Haven't had the chance yet to measure them... Still waiting for my orders to come in, so I hope it works! Someone said to me that they could be military spec, but I'm not sure, kinda new to this.

I've got:
4x 'AC132 N51' with a B on the top.
1x 'D AC132 A51'
3x 'D AC127 J7427'
1x 'B AC127 A11'
The AC132's have a red dot and the AC127's a blue dot.

I'm not sure what all this means unfortunatly...