News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Yellow Shark Volume Drop?

Started by davidnlsw, February 06, 2014, 01:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnlsw

I just finished boxing up a Yellow Shark (Honey Bee) on a Haberdasher etched PCB. The pedal sounds beautiful, nice and smooth. But, even with the volume and gain knobs dimed I'm still not able to quite reach unity volume with my clean signal.

I figure I've probably got something not quite right. Where would be the first place to check? I did measure all the pieces I could before I assembled the PCB, everything checked out fine. I checked all my off board wiring and that all looks okay too.

Is this just part of the circuit, and if so, what could I change to add a few decibels to this guy?

jkokura

That's not really common with that circuit. You should be able to boost your signal using that circuit, so it does sound like something's up.

The most common reason that you would have that issue is that you have switched or perhaps used the wrong value of some parts. It would be easy to put the wrong resistor or capacitor, or several of them, in the wrong place.

The best thread to learn about debugging a problem is this one:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

Check that out, then let us know if you need more help.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davidnlsw

Quote from: jkokura on February 06, 2014, 01:30:47 AM
That's not really common with that circuit. You should be able to boost your signal using that circuit, so it does sound like something's up.

Alright, that's what I needed to know. I am going to take a day off from it, and then I'll dig in to troubleshooting on Friday.

I read through everything in that thread and will follow along as I go on Friday.

Thanks for the help.

Mojo Fandangle

This might seem obvious but

CHECK THAT ALL YOUR RESISTORS ARE IN CORRECT SPOTS
Apparantly that's often the cause for volume loss.

I'm a noob but just had a similar problem with a BYOC Scrambler with 47k and 4k7 resistors around the wrong way. They a very similarly banded so it's easy to end up with them in the wrong spots.

You might (or might not) have a similar problem
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally