News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modulation Pedals

Started by StompIt, March 08, 2011, 05:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StompIt

Hi Guys,
I've noticed on the several PCB sites that modulation type PCBs are pretty scarce.  I know that the difficulty level can get way up there with them, especially when it comes to troubleshooting.  Does it seem worth the effort to build one of these?  Or you just better off buying a proven pedal?  I know part of it is just the joy of building something.. Im not discounting that factor.  But if I put forth the effort to build a CE-2 or Small Stone clone, I would love to have it sound good.

What's your experience with building modulation pedals?  Any you would strongly recommend building?

thanks

Myramyd

I've built a Pork Barrel, BYOC Flanger and BYOC Phase Royal all with success. The PB and PR both have some slight clock noise but other than that I think all 3 sound better than anything else I've tried.

I have a Boss CE-5, Boss Flanger, and Phase 90 (all from the 90's), along with hearing their simulations in Amplitube, Line6 POD, Guitar Rig 4, etc. and I can tell you that the 3 modulation pedals I built all sound FAR AND AWAY better than any of their counterparts. So much more lush and rich sounding to me. Plus, they all have more knobs/adjustments/tweaks you don't have with the originals.

The only thing harder about them is the parts count IMHO. The clock noise can be tough to totally eliminate if your lead dress isn't good but, even though I messed up mine, I can only hear that noise with really high gain (metal or lead) tones--and only when you are not playing.

Just my thoughts.
J

jkokura

I've built tonnes. Lots from Tonepad, and a few from elsewhere. Tremolos can have the lowest parts count of them, along with phase 45's. The sound isn't the issue, because all of them that I've built have had their own unique and useable sounds. Some more than others. The EA trem is one of those perennial pedals for me - I always have one.

I think modulation pedals aren't as popular because they're used less often. Boosters and drives are used the most often of all guitar pedals. You can see this because on most guitarists boards, the Drive or gain pedal out number the modulation pedals. For that matter, Delay or Reverb pedals often do also. In a typical pedal board for me, of 8 pedals, 4 of them will be gain - Comp, Boost and 2 drives/fuzz. I'll have 2-3 Delay/Reverb pedals, and that leaves space for 1-2 modulation pedals.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Not to scare you but i made some mistake on my BYOC chorus. It was my second build, i was very new to the whole thing and screwed up(not fixed yet but i still believe it just needs new IC chips). I think i placed them backwards. I spent months trying to debug it(80 something parts) and it was a total nightmare. Had to redo the wiring so many times and in the midst they released a newer version which looks easier!! Took a while to get the confidence back up to keep going and i've succesfully built about 10-12 pedals since. I would say its not anything crazy challenging, just watch what your doing carefully, double and triple check placement of parts and especially IC's!! I've seen someone complete a BYOC analog delay as their first build so anythings possible.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

StompIt

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 08, 2011, 11:50:28 PM
Not to scare you but i made some mistake on my BYOC chorus. It was my second build, i was very new to the whole thing and screwed up(not fixed yet but i still believe it just needs new IC chips). I think i placed them backwards. I spent months trying to debug it(80 something parts) and it was a total nightmare. Had to redo the wiring so many times and in the midst they released a newer version which looks easier!! Took a while to get the confidence back up to keep going and i've succesfully built about 10-12 pedals since. I would say its not anything crazy challenging, just watch what your doing carefully, double and triple check placement of parts and especially IC's!! I've seen someone complete a BYOC analog delay as their first build so anythings possible.

I know what you mean.  I have a BYOC compressor in the works and I just cannot get it to function like I think it should.  It just doesnt compress like Ive heard on other off the shelf units.   I have done all the troubleshooting that I know how and cant find anything wrong.  Im about ready to replace the IC, optocoupler and transistors as a last ditch effort.   Maybe its just so transparent that I cant even tell its working !   I have built a fuzz face, SHO and Rangemaster with good results... so Im not scared to keep going.. I love this stuff.

bigmufffuzzwizz

yea thats the key, to keep working at it. the more you work at it the more you'll learn and discover. :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals