News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Toggle Switch Question

Started by Hexjibber, January 22, 2014, 01:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexjibber

Hi guys,

Just had a question regarding a toggle switch and an idea I'm brewing at the moment. Basically I want to build two Rat's into one box with the ability to select either one individually but also cascade them together for an ultra gain doom fest! :) Came across the Deucetone Rat the other day among some other Rat related videos and it sparked my interest.

Ideally I would like the end result to feature one main bypass foot switch and a toggle switch to select either one or both of the circuits, as opposed to just using two foot switches. Would this be possible with an on-on-on toggle or similar? I imagine it to work where for example, the 'up' position is Rat Circuit 1, the 'down' position is Rat Circuit 2 and the middle position is both circuits combined, is this even possible?

I initially was just going to wire both circuits together so it was permanently in double rat mode but then I thought it might be cool to still be able to choose either circuit and have different clipping options on each.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! :)

Cheers!
Graham

midwayfair

I'd suggest a 3-pole rotary for what you want. An on-on-on toggle will not work the way you're hoping.

Hexjibber

Quote from: midwayfair on January 22, 2014, 01:47:44 PM
I'd suggest a 3-pole rotary for what you want. An on-on-on toggle will not work the way you're hoping.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply, I did wonder whether a rotary would be what I need, I don't have much experience with them other than the Multiplex build that I did but obviously all the technical stuff was done by Josh on the board.

Could you per chance point me in the direction of any relevant wiring instructions if you know of any? I've found a few things that explain how they work but I'm still a little in the dark!

Cheers,
Graham

Hexjibber

Found this on DIYSB which seems to be exactly what I'm after, it's set up to choose between either circuit or have both in series, now just got to figure out what's going where! ;)

midwayfair

You can work this out on your own by understanding how the switches work.

A rotary has common poles in the center (up to four), and then the ring of poles around the outside connect to them in each position of the switch.

3P4T
Center A : 1, 2, 3, and 4
Center b: 5, 6, 7, and 8.
center C: 9, 10, 11, 12

So position 1 would be A1, B5, C9. Position 2 would be A2, B6, C10. Etc.

A toggle has the common poles in the center, and the outside lugs connect to them:

1 4 7
2 5 8

and

2 5 8
3 6 9

The best way to do this? Draw out the switching schematic for standard bypass, and then draw it how it would be hooked up to the 3PDT. Then draw out how it would look in series.

While I'm sure there might be someone out there who has already made a diagram, you'll understand it a lot better if you do it yourself. Or maybe there isn't a diagram and you'll be able to contribute one.

Hexjibber

Hi Jon,

Cool thanks for the detailed info, I think it all makes sense in theory so I will give it a go! I agree that I'd much rather figure it out myself so that I understand it so this is a great help :)

If I get a working diagram then I will post here.

Cheers,
Graham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexjibber

Hi Jon,

Ok after much reading, I think I just about understand the workings of rotary switches, although there is a good chance I've got it completely wrong! Anyway here is a diagram I've done using a 2P3T rotary, I chose this after reading a post by R.G. Keen on DIYSB stating that unless you need to ground the circuits or use an LED you only need poles for input and output, as the grounding and LED are happening on the 3PDT this seemed to make sense.

In this example, position one would be Circuit A, position 2 is Circuit A & B and position 3 is Circuit B.

Am I anywhere near correct or miles off? I don't quite understand why switches like these seem to have so many lugs around the outside, as you can see I've only used 6 of them in this example, I suppose it gives you more options?

davent

Just arrived from diystompboxes... took a stab at this in your thread over there.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Think about those jumpers you've got connecting the three lugs. What's connected when the internal green wire is connected to outside pole 1?

Hexjibber

Quote from: davent on January 23, 2014, 07:54:30 PM
Just arrived from diystompboxes... took a stab at this in your thread over there.

dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks, have only just seen the replies over there, will check it out!

Cheers,
Graham

Hexjibber

Quote from: midwayfair on January 23, 2014, 10:27:55 PM
Think about those jumpers you've got connecting the three lugs. What's connected when the internal green wire is connected to outside pole 1?

Hi Jon,

Ah yes I see, with that wiring it would mean both circuits are connected in all three positions, is that right? Back to the drawing board... ;)

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
Graham