News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Envirotex question

Started by billstein, January 17, 2014, 08:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Quote from: rullywowr on January 17, 2014, 06:16:13 PM
I got my cups from the local Chinese Buffet :)   They are the little ones you can put sweet and sour sauce in to dunk your crab Rangoon. Or soy sauce for sushi. I just grabbed a few extra.  No need to get fancy cups as you will be tossing them anyway.

About 5g each side (resin/catalyst) for the top of a 1590b.

Great idea for getting cups! Also, I know you did that QOB faceplate. Did you elevate that and let the Envirotex drip off the side and then clean it up later?

rullywowr

Quote from: billstein on January 17, 2014, 07:09:03 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on January 17, 2014, 06:16:13 PM
I got my cups from the local Chinese Buffet :)   They are the little ones you can put sweet and sour sauce in to dunk your crab Rangoon. Or soy sauce for sushi. I just grabbed a few extra.  No need to get fancy cups as you will be tossing them anyway.

About 5g each side (resin/catalyst) for the top of a 1590b.

Great idea for getting cups! Also, I know you did that QOB faceplate. Did you elevate that and let the Envirotex drip off the side and then clean it up later?

Yes, I propped the etched plate off the surface with something to raise it up.  I made sure the ET went all the way around the edges. After about a day I used a sharp knife to get any boobs out from underneath so it would lay flat. Easy peasy!  I wanted to do silver but my Liquid Tin went zombie on me.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

muddyfox

Quote from: juansolo on January 17, 2014, 04:11:43 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=envirotex+lite+16oz

We get it from Beadaholique via Amazon. Haven't found anywhere local that sells it. It's about £22 delivered for 16oz, which works out very reasonable if you do it in batches and only coat the tops. We get a LOT of pedals out of one pack.

Thanks man! Just ordered one, hopefully I'll get lucky with it. Your tutorial is great, it's just that I always seem to run into problems noone else ever has.  ???

billstein

Another question. I just did my first two projects with Envirotex. An enclosure with a waterslide that turned out really good and a faceplate that didn't. I did the faceplate second and poured way to much and started trying to steer it around with a stick. The stuff started to set a bit and I ended up some pits. I figured overnight it would level but it didn't. All part of the learning curve.
My question. Can I pour some more on top of the first level to fill in those pits? Can I wet sand it or would that take all the gloss away? Should I just leave it and chalk it up to beginners mistakes. I don't like this option because it is a really nice faceplate.
Thanks in advance.

juansolo

Wet sanding works, but it will end up with a more satin finish. I quite like it and inevitably not every pour is perfect so sometimes you have to do it. It'll get rid of flow marks and all sorts of problems. After you've sanded it polish it back up again with auto polish (we use T-Cut which is very abrasive).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

billstein

Quote from: juansolo on January 18, 2014, 07:57:05 AM
Wet sanding works, but it will end up with a more satin finish. I quite like it and inevitably not every pour is perfect so sometimes you have to do it. It'll get rid of flow marks and all sorts of problems. After you've sanded it polish it back up again with auto polish (we use T-Cut which is very abrasive).

Thanks. Is T- Cut the brand of auto polish? Does anybody know if it's available in the States?

rullywowr

It's essentially rubbing compound liquid.  You can find it next to where auto wax is sold.  I have some in a yellow bottle called "scratch out" or something.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

juansolo

Yeah it's brutal stuff, but that sounds like a US equivalent.

billstein

Since this is a rubbing compound would it be used instead of wet sanding or is it the final step after wet sanding?

davent

You would wet sand/level first with a hard backing for the paper and then bring up the shine with the rubbing compound, i work through a couple grades of those if i'm after glassy shine, I'm a big fan of a matt finish so i'll stop at 800grit and often leave it at that, (and i'm not working with ET but i would think the results would be similar.)

Question- Is there a window of opportunity in the curing of the epoxy where it is firm enough that it's not flowing down the sides but could be still smoothed out with a large, very flexible pallet knife? 

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo