News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone know the Boss Dyna Drive?

Started by RobA, January 14, 2014, 01:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Anyone know what the Boss Dyna Drive, DN-2 is? Musicians Friend has them on their SDoD for $30 and I haven't seen on before. Is it part of a tube amp simulation circuit? Digital?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

Digital. See http://www.stompboxzone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2678#p27964

It's the Dyna Amp of the Cube-30X etc.

RobA

Definitely digital. I wish I could figure out what they (and digitech) are using for an IC. Not really a very inspiring pedal though.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

DutchMF

Well, if it's $30, it might be worth it to buy one and rip it apart. I just checked the cheapest dutch online store I know, and it's 98 euros there, so I'm not bothering.........
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

RobA

Quote from: DutchMF on January 14, 2014, 05:08:03 PM
Well, if it's $30, it might be worth it to buy one and rip it apart. I just checked the cheapest dutch online store I know, and it's 98 euros there, so I'm not bothering.........
If I could figure it out that way, I would go for it. But, all the IC's are custom branded and there's not enough hints for me to figure it out. I'm guessing that they are all custom made ASIC's and/or FPGA's. On of the advantages of being a giant corp.

DutchMF

Never thought about it being a custom IC job, but it would make sense, with the size of the Roland Corp. 'Nother bit of education, thanks RobA. But that price difference is ridiculous, no? $30 against E98? That's just weird!
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

RobA

Yeah, that's a huge price differential. Way more than VAT can account for. The Musician's Friend SDotD prices can be really low. They tend to happen when they are dumping a brand or are trying to clear stock because new models are coming out or they just aren't moving any of something. The regular price of $50 is still a bunch lower than the EU price even accounting for VAT. I don't have any idea why that would be.