Main Menu

Happy happy

Started by madbean, December 31, 2013, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Quote from: RobA on January 03, 2014, 11:16:31 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on January 03, 2014, 08:22:39 PM
[...]
Sounds really sweet. Makes me wonder if they'd put it through the Plek machine.
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Gibson is running everything through plek now. It was either on their website or the Gibson rep was talking about it when I was at the shop.

I hadn't heard that. I thought it was just the really high-end stuff. If that's for real, it's a huge bonus for buying a Gibson. Wow.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

RobA

Here it is, from the really ugly yellow section of their website on the info about the 2014 models,

"Innovative PLEK technology provides precise fingerboard setup on all 2014 models"
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jubal81

I want a Firebird so bad  :'(
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

RobA

Quote from: jubal81 on January 04, 2014, 12:12:44 AM
I want a Firebird so bad  :'(
I know that feeling. I've always loved Firebirds. I tried out some of the tribute models from last year and didn't really like any of them or I would have picked up one then. They seem to have upped the quality of their entry models this year. I haven't seen one yet, but it would really cool if they would do a Firebird J.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Cortexturizer

Congratulations to mr B from me as well!
SGs are just the best guitars ever. I love mine to death, although my tele deluxe is really growing on me, but once a SG guy you never stop thinking it's just THE guitar.

That being said I GAS for the LP junior a lot.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

RobA

Well, I ended up following your lead on this one and got the SGJ from Sweetwater. It got hung up for a couple of days in the storm because they couldn't get in to the warehouse, but it's in my hands now. I've had it for a couple of days. These are incredible for the price point. I went out looking at the tribute SG's they had last year and was really disappointed, but they've really upped the quality and finish details this year. The neck and fret work on mine is perfect. I put some light top heavy bottom 9's on there and the action can be dropped to the limit of what is reasonably possible. And, with no further fret or setup work. Pretty impressive.

The only snag I've hit so far is that my strap locks won't work on it because they hit my ribs when I sit down with it -- should have thought of that. Any suggestions for a good strap lock system that doesn't stick out? I'm contemplating the "Grolsch" solution right now.

micromegas

Quote from: RobA on January 13, 2014, 10:08:15 PM
The only snag I've hit so far is that my strap locks won't work on it because they hit my ribs when I sit down with it -- should have thought of that. Any suggestions for a good strap lock system that doesn't stick out? I'm contemplating the "Grolsch" solution right now.

Grolsch red magic rubber is what I'm using now, but here is another more expensive solution: http://drno-effects.com/drnos-strap-lox-now-in-store/
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

RobA

Quote from: micromegas on January 13, 2014, 11:56:02 PM
Grolsch red magic rubber is what I'm using now, but here is another more expensive solution: http://drno-effects.com/drnos-strap-lox-now-in-store/

Interesting. I wonder if I can find them anywhere to look at. Thanks for the link! (Although, the Grolsch path looks to be more entertaining.)