News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

T-Shirt Transfers for Pedal Graphics?

Started by peAk, April 01, 2014, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

I have read about this method before and even bought some of the stuff a while back.

Anyone try it? If so, can you compare it to waterslide and/or other methods?

Willybomb

These are the two I've done with it.

I like it, although I'm going to try waterproof sticker paper next.  The downside with the t-shirt transfers is that they soak up a lot of clearcoat, and you have to go lightly or else you'll get pretty bad wrinkles, which means you have to start again pretty much from scratch.

This one was done with 120GSM paper contact adhesived to the enclosure.  It probably soaked up even more clearcoat.

These were done with gloss photopaper contact spray adhesived to the enclosure.  Not much clearcoat necessary because the paper is pretty much waterproof.  You have to be careful with the contact adhesive as it can come out the edges and make a mess.

All these methods work out ok, as long as you go easy on the clearcoat - build up your layers slowly - cut it back gently with some wet/dry sandpaper, and then use a polishing compound.

The photopaper is probably the least hassle so far to get good, but I think there has to be a better method of sticking it to the box.

peAk

Damn, so my work's web filter is blocking some of the photos. The only ones I could see were the Camo and Boost. They both look great. Have to view the rest later this evening.

I want a way to get white text on dark/black enclosures so I am weighing my options.

jimilee

Quote from: peAk on April 01, 2014, 01:26:10 PM
Damn, so my work's web filter is blocking some of the photos. The only ones I could see were the Camo and Boost. They both look great. Have to view the rest later this evening.

I want a way to get white text on dark/black enclosures so I am weighing my options.
White waterslide paper instead of clear.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

Quote from: jimilee on April 01, 2014, 01:55:21 PM

Jimmy, so I bought some white waterslide decals as well but haven't tried them yet. If say you have a black pedal, does the black on the decal look strange next to the black paint?

jimilee

Quote from: peAk on April 01, 2014, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: jimilee on April 01, 2014, 01:55:21 PM

Jimmy, so I bought some white waterslide decals as well but haven't tried them yet. If say you have a black pedal, does the black on the decal look strange next to the black paint?
Nope, not at all. Once you clear coat or enviro over the top, it looks great. I have done it many times with many different colors.  What I will do is go to the paint manufacturer's website and grab a color sample of the exact paint I use, and use it on the graphics.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: jimilee on April 01, 2014, 02:23:21 PM

Nope, not at all. Once you clear coat or enviro over the top, it looks great. I have done it many times with many different colors.  What I will do is go to the paint manufacturer's website and grab a color sample of the exact paint I use, and use it on the graphics.

And see...now that's smart.   ;)
Jonathan

AntKnee

I have only successfully used a t shirt transfer once. I saw a site somewhere where someone actually ironed it to make it stick, but I think thats a bunch of hooey. It didnt work for me at all. I ended up just using spray adhesive to stick it to the enclosure, then clearcoated it, sanded, polished. I am mostly happy with it, but I think it could look better. I'm my worst critic. Unlike Jimi, my blacks don't match and it bugs the crap out of me. This was actually my first build, and I spent a lot of time on the enclosure. I primed, painted black, painted black sparkle, sanded, clearcoated, tshirt transfered, clearcoated, sanded, polished. It took like 2 weeks with all the waiting for paint to cure.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Willybomb

I definitely iron the t-shirt transfers on.  You don't want the iron too hot, and use greasepaper between the transfer and iron.