News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave dewller only buzzing

Started by Jmilla, December 31, 2013, 06:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmilla

Built up my cave dweller, when turned on with my testing rig it only buzzes and i can not hear nay guitar through it. My rig works for sure and i have never had good luck with PT2399 pedals. if someone could help me out that would be great.

Cave dweller
only sound is buzzing
checked wiring

midwayfair

Post the voltages on your PT2399 for a start.

It's hard to tell much from the pictures -- they're very small. Can you upload the original resolution to a host site?

rullywowr

Looks like your regulator is backwards.  The 7805 (as you have) has a reverse pinout than the smaller 78L05 that the cave dweller is designed for.

See if you are getting 5v from the regulator to the rest of the circuit.  Pin 1 of the PT2399 should have +5v.  You can try to desolder and flip around that 7805 but it is possible to destroy them by hooking them up backwards.  Also, repeated desoldering can destroy the pads on the PCB if you intend to put a proper 78L05 in there eventually.

It's probably best to try and get a proper 78L05 as its much smaller and will be way easier to box up.   If you need one and are in the US I send one your way to get your PCB working.  Just PM me.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Jmilla

Jmilla

I did put in a correct regulator as i found i had one hiding in my parts bin. Still not working correctly. Same sound as before
Pin voltages for the pt2399

pin 1- 3.98
2-2.42
3-.87
4-.88
5-3.98
6-3.94
7-3.83
8-3.75
9-5.00
10-4.08
11-0
12-0
13-.48
14-3.88
15-3.98
16-.5

rullywowr

Something is not looking right with the regulator circuit.  The PT2399 likes to operate from 4.5v-5.5v.  Your voltage looks a bit under 4v and may be causing it to not work properly.  Check for a bridge right around the regulator area that could be leading to the 5v being shorted to another component.  The regulator itself could be faulty (especially if powered backwards), wrong value, and double check your power supply is also supplying enough voltage.

Some of those joints also look a little too close for comfort.  I would recommend reflowing them and ensuring you have good separation from the neighboring joint.

midwayfair

Could also be a low battery. If the battery is below 7V, it won't power the regulator enough.

PT2399s eat batteries, too.

Jmilla

Thank you guys so much this forum is the best place to lean about this stuff. In addition to needing a new reg I also soldered the ic socket upside down and put the chip is that way as well. Everything works well now. Thanks fully and midway for the help.

rullywowr

Welcome to the forum!  Glad you got it working.