News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Something is not quite right here...

Started by madbean, October 30, 2014, 11:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I can't put my finger on it though....hmm.

So nice to find these things AFTER you build them.

wgc

I love finding them right after notice comes that the pcb shipped
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jimilee

Man, I wish I knew what I was looking at, it's gotta be funny, i just  know it...you design them, I'll just keep building them...:-p
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Nothin like putting the source for VB outside of the voltage divider. Shows that Bean is human like the rest of us after all ;)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

alanp

Not quite -- if I'm understanding this rightly, +9V should be where VB is, and VB (along with the smoothing cap) should be where the right angle join between the two 100k resistors is.

Or I could be completely talking out my ass.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jimilee on October 31, 2014, 01:53:42 AM
Man, I wish I knew what I was looking at, it's gotta be funny, i just  know it...you design them, I'll just keep building them...:-p

i'm with you Jimi.. glad I'm not alone.

Cody

rullywowr

Quote from: alanp on October 31, 2014, 06:21:57 AM
Not quite -- if I'm understanding this rightly, +9V should be where VB is, and VB (along with the smoothing cap) should be where the right angle join between the two 100k resistors is.

That's exactly correct.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Justus

Quote from: jimileeMan, I wish I knew what I was looking at, it's gotta be funny, i just  know it...you design them, I'll just keep building them...:-p
Quote from: rullywowrNothin like putting the source for VB outside of the voltage divider. Shows that Bean is human like the rest of us after all ;)
Quote from: alanpNot quite -- if I'm understanding this rightly, +9V should be where VB is, and VB (along with the smoothing cap) should be where the right angle join between the two 100k resistors is.
Quote from: selfdestroyeri'm with you Jimi.. glad I'm not alone.

Uh...  I'm with Jimi & Cody.  What's VB?  lol

muddyfox

It's a bias voltage, created by halving the input voltage (9V) by a voltage divider formed by two equal resistors.

It is commonly used to bias an opamp so the output can go equally far below and above the 4.5V rail.

wgc

Quote from: alanp on October 31, 2014, 06:21:57 AM

This is how I interpreted it.  I made the same mistake on a dirt pcb I did recently.  Take two in the works.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

the3secondrule

Quote from: Justus on October 31, 2014, 02:10:44 PM

Uh...  I'm with Jimi & Cody.  What's VB?  lol

pretty sure this is what you guys are talking about, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Bitter
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

TGP39

I actually think this is a great idea. Maybe show a little snippet of a circuit and talk about what's right, what's wrong and how to improve it.  Let's call it Circuit of Fifths. I know I learned something very important from just this little post by Brian.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.