News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transistors, caps, diodes, pots

Started by RickEB, December 27, 2013, 12:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickEB

Wow!  What a wealth of information. I'm new to the forum and have choose to build a Boneyard and have a couple of questions and wanted to get these straight before purchasing parts.

1) I read in the forum that the lower wattage (1/4watt) make less noise - is this correct?
2) Do all the resistors in the project need to be the same wattage?
3) While picking out pots I noticed they show wattage as well.  Do the pots have to match the wattage of the transistors; or is there a rule of thumb for matching the pots with the transistors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

jubal81

1) Most PCBs are designed with 1/4 watt resistors in mind. You can also use 1/8 watt with no trouble whatsoever - and no noise.

2) Nope.

3) No matching. Your main concern here, again, is the size. you just want to get what will fit in a stomp box. By far the most common pot is the 16MM Alpha.

If you're unsure about what to source, you can always start with a full kit from BYOC.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

muddyfox

I'd just add to watch your pot tapers. There are no absolute rights or wrongs here but it may just help the user experience with the finished product.