News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cheap decals

Started by gordo, December 23, 2013, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Jimi, I thought of you when you'd posted a while back that you have some cheap eBay Chinese decal stock that wasn't working.  Me too and I finally have a solution and ironically has turned it into my "best" decal stock.  The problem was that I was using the Testors decal spray that works really well on Testors paper but not on the eBay stuff.  They had a tendancy to stick to the backing too much and would stretch as you tried to place them. I picked up a can of Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X ultra cover gloss clear from Home Depot.  It goes on real thick and takes longer to dry but the results are amazing.  This is a shot of my Nautilus.  The photo makes the sand and nautilus graphic look more like a pidgeon but you get the idea.  Also excuse the fact that I'm waiting for more knobs to arrive...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

slimtriggers

Yeah that's my favorite clear other than powder coat.  I use it over decals because I haven't found a good way to powder coat over decals.

Nice looking build, too.  The knobs look OK to me  8)

edit: Oh, duh, I didn't notice that one knob is missing. 

rullywowr

I use the same. I find it helps to warm up the can a little bit by placing in warm water before spraying.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jimilee

Sweet decal Gordo! I just trashed the cheap stuff and bought more from a dealer I know had better stock.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.