News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Using Amp Jewel Lights with LED's

Started by Gilmourisgod, December 13, 2013, 05:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilmourisgod

I plan on using a Fender style amp jewel light for the rate indicator on my Harbinger One. I can get just the lens and ferrule on Ebay, or with the lamp holder attached. I went with a 1590BB "Tall" box, so I should have the room either way. Anybody done this? How did you mount the LED to light up the jewel?

selfdestroyer

I have seen a few retail pedals and a few DIY guys use amp jewels on their pedals. If I was doing it, I would ditch the lamp portion and just stick 1 ultra bright with a small CLR and hot glue it in the lamp.

pryde

I just used a 5mm clear LED in put it in the amp jewel with a bit of superglue. The leads also help hold it in place as well. You can also fill in the empty space around the LED with some foam or something. Here are pics of one I did

Gilmourisgod

Thanks, nice pedal! I found some Fender amp jewel lenses at my local guitar store, but they don't include a backer nut. Might have to get the whole lampholder assembly just to get the nut unless its some kind of standard thread.

guile

jumpchamp

I did this recently. Used clear epoxy instead of hot glue, but same concept. If you have a helping hands, you can use that to hold the LED in place while your glue sets.

I didn't have a backing nut so found a rubber gasket at the hardware store to keep it in place. Worked perfect, looks cool!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jumpchamp on December 18, 2013, 04:06:29 PM
I did this recently. Used clear epoxy instead of hot glue, but same concept. If you have a helping hands, you can use that to hold the LED in place while your glue sets.

I didn't have a backing nut so found a rubber gasket at the hardware store to keep it in place. Worked perfect, looks cool!
Very clever idea with the rubber gasket. I will have to remember that hack.