News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

An oldie but a GOODIE!!!

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, December 18, 2013, 11:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

My latest creation...

The Madbean M117 Flanger. This build went about as easy as a build with a SAD1024 can go!  :o Straight forward build of the madbean M117 self-etched layout. Using the Road Rage PCB to run the circuit at 15V (NICE!!!) and a left over Mammoth 3PDT board to try some clean wiring techniques. Was a bit skiddish and installed the SAD chip only after ensuring ALL of the voltages were correct, the clock was properly set, and all components were TRIPLE verified!  ;)
NO NOISE at all on this one! Actually a pretty hassle free build! Used a 47pF for the clock cap. Started with a 68pF and worked my way down until the clock was set from 32KHz to 920KHz on the max CW and CCW of the Manual pot. Trimmed the Feedback to jjjjjuuuuussssssttttt get to self oscillation at max setting.

There is NO substitute for the old MXR M117 flange. Warm and lush just as expected. Definitely can tell a difference between this and ANY MN-based flanger.

The enclosure is a PPP pre-drilled 1590BB in Silver Vein powder coat. Looks AWESOME in some lighting situations.

Sorry for some of the crap images... I haven't eaten dinner yet and was a bit shaky....  ::)  :o

LaceSensor

Son of a gun that's killer.
I haven't played many SAD effects but my 78 mistress sounds amazing. Better than mn3007 repros like the curent lover (excellent as that is, it's just not the same).

slimtriggers

Man, that's cool!  I have '78 mxr117 that sounds amazing.  Better than any flanger I've ever heard.  Congrats on the build, there are some great sounds in there for sure  8)

madbean

Awesome work, mang! Reminds me I gotta dust off that layout for an update. I'm so glad your results were noise-free.

Mich P

Great build ! and good news.
I have that board etched and a SAD so ...
Mich P.

alanp

Und are ze vires ze correkt kolor to be historically acurate?!

More seriously, pretty damn nice :) (I bet my ADA could beat it in a fight, though!)

I didn't know MB did a SAD1024 board! Does the SAD really sound so different to the MN?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

marmaliser

Very nice...Don't let scruffie catch you using SAD1024's :)

Scruffie

Quote from: marmaliser on December 19, 2013, 08:49:00 AM
Very nice...Don't let scruffie catch you using SAD1024's :)
Scruff Scruff Madddd! Scruff Scruff Smashhhh!!  :P

Hey, I can't stop people and they do sound nice, I merely ask they consider not tracking down the last out there and using them in new pedals, at least if lacky was to get a broken vintage 117 in his hands I bet he might sacrifice this build.
Works at Lectric-FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: alanp on December 19, 2013, 08:25:29 AM
I didn't know MB did a SAD1024 board! Does the SAD really sound so different to the MN?

No comparison in my opinion!

Quote from: Scruffie on December 19, 2013, 08:54:25 AM
...at least if lacky was to get a broken vintage 117 in his hands I bet he might sacrifice this build.

I doubt I would come across this but.... I MIGHT consider it!  ;)