News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chorus pedals

Started by flanagan0718, December 27, 2013, 02:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hey Guys,
     I recently received some MN3007 chips from the Bay. I am planing on doing a few chorus pedal builds. I was looking at the "Zombie" (tagboard),  the "Little Angel" (tagboard) and of course the "Pork Barrel"(madbeans). I'm sure all of you have experience in one or the other. Any Suggestions? I was thinking about doing the "Current Lover" but that's a huge build...Thoughts?

DutchMF

All of them!  ;) No seriously, there all good and different. I personally love my porkbarrel, but haven't tried the other 2 choruses you mention. And the Currentlover is indeed a big build, but it's not more complicated than a porkbarrel, so give it a shot, you'll be fine. And if you do run into trouble, there this forum to help you!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

flanagan0718

Thanks Paul. I have found this forum to be completely invaluble. Some times i don't even have to ask the question i just do a search and find all my answers. I think when bean get back I'll grab one of those "pork barrels" off him.

mjcyates

The Pork Barrel is my favorite chorus that I have ever played.

midwayfair

The Little Angel is PT2399 based. It honestly sounds wretched to me. I breadboarded it like a year ago and hated almost everything about it: It's terribly noisy, it has ye olde familiar PT2399 headroom issues, and it can latch sometimes even with Mictester's latching protection scheme. Oh, and it's noisy (not sure I mentioned that).

Scruffie warned me that the Zombie was noisy, and after breadboarding it I agreed with him.

The Pork Barrel, Small Clone, and MXR Microchorus are all three pretty good designs with MN3007 layouts around.

Haberdasher

not a fan of the little angel
personally, i love the pork barrel & the small clone.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

flanagan0718

yeah i just watched the little angel demo sounded gaud awful. The zombie sounded nice and voluptuous though. Anyone have a Vero layout of the Micro Chorus?

billstein

I've built the Small Clone from Tonepad and the Bean's Pork barrel. Both are great.

midwayfair

Quote from: flanagan0718 on December 27, 2013, 05:06:31 PM
yeah i just watched the little angel demo sounded gaud awful. The zombie sounded nice and voluptuous though. Anyone have a Vero layout of the Micro Chorus?

I think FSB did an etch layout. I didn't see a vero anywhere. I'm not sure what you'd end up with if you tried to vero a chorus ... layouts matter in a circuit with a clock of any sort. The chorus circuit on my breadboard makes noise whenever my hand gets near it or I turn on the desk light. :/

flanagan0718

hmmm. good to know. Maybe i'll get a pork barrel and then try and vero the Zombie...to see how it comes out. This might give me an opportunity to try a home etch too.

Matt

Pork barrel Is a great pedal.  It sounds so good I've never bothered building any other chorus.
Matt

Scruffie

The zombie does sound nice... but is plagued by issues, the original design at least needs tweaking to make it usable as it can suffer from tick by sharing power for audio and LFO, having a fixed bias which means the BBD will likely be poorly biased leading to clipping and the audio path is very lightly filtered so it is noisy. It's nice and simple, but i'd avoid it.

The Small Clone is nice, as is the CE-2/Pork Barrel... you can get an 'approximation' of the other with either by altering the delay time... they're not all that different really even though they look it.

The Current lover is tricky and it isn't... if you take your time, are good at soldering and double check everything (plus if you have a scope + frequency counter that'll help a lot) it should go just fine.

The Collosalus is also another one you can look at, less chorusy and jettier than the current lover IMO.
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

I like the Small Clone a bit better than the CE-2, but both are really nice. But, the Current Lover really is just killer. I think the added versatility is worth any extra effort involved over the CE-2 and it really isn't that much more. As Scruffie says, "... if you take your time".

I just got an M3007 for a present and I'm really considering doing another Current Lover to put in a multi-pedal build as the modulation piece.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).