News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SMD soldering

Started by muddyfox, November 20, 2013, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Quote from: pickdropper on December 15, 2013, 09:35:01 PM
Hmm, that's interesting.  How stiff of a toothbrush was it?

I prefer Flux Remover, but I use isopropanol all the time and generally don't have that issue.  Was this an etched board or a fabbed board?  And do you know where it was fabbed?  I have seen some boards with really poor quality solder masks.
It was a medium toothbrush and Madbean's Low Rider PCB, so I don't think that there should be a quality issue with the board itself. I was quite surprised by the effect the alcohol had on the board.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 16, 2013, 03:44:52 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 15, 2013, 09:35:01 PM
Hmm, that's interesting.  How stiff of a toothbrush was it?

I prefer Flux Remover, but I use isopropanol all the time and generally don't have that issue.  Was this an etched board or a fabbed board?  And do you know where it was fabbed?  I have seen some boards with really poor quality solder masks.
It was a medium toothbrush and Madbean's Low Rider PCB, so I don't think that there should be a quality issue with the board itself. I was quite surprised by the effect the alcohol had on the board.

Yeah, me too.  I cleaned some boards with flux remover and alcohol last night with no issues.

Maybe that particular batch if boards had an issue.  It does happen every now and again.

Do you have a scrap board you could try scrubbing with alcohol, just to see if you get the same result?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper