News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A first envelope filter build recommendation

Started by Kinki fuzz, December 03, 2013, 01:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinki fuzz

Hi! I wonder, if you had to recommend a friend (me!) –who is new to this effect family- one build, what would it be. I'm into rock mainly, a total fuzz and distortion nerd, love phasers too, tremolos, and a little modulation, some delay, some chorus, here and there. Never found space for a envelope, but when I (rarely) listen some funk stuff I hear the guitars and think "damn it, that's sexy!".
I'm not building a ton of them, but want to have that sound at hand, so what should I build?

slimtriggers

SWAW

I built the GuitarPCB version and I love mine.

midwayfair

Nurse Quacky. Doesn't really get any simpler.

Also, the BYOC envelope filter was my first working pedal.

Brian has a PCB for a Seamoon envelope filter clone on his upcoming releases list, but I don't know when that will happen. That's an incredibly simple project, too, simpler than the Nurse Quacky.

jimilee

Swaw was my first envelope, and so far none really compare, but the kraken is a nice easy one.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

muddyfox

Jon (or anybody), about Nurse Quacky... just triplechecking, about the pots.
- sensitivity pot - pin 1 to ground, 3 to In
- range pot - 1 to ground, 3 to 22u
- attack - 1 and 2 to 22u, 3 to 51R

Is that right?

Kinki fuzz

Thanks guys, the SWAW seems a good option, with enough features to have a wide range of sounds. I don't mind building a complex project, but I don't want it to be expensive like the mutron III an its vactrols.

Mutron V was another option, but seems feature-short, though the kraken project has expanded controls so I wonder if you have tried that. I like it because I have a couple spare CA3080s, so it would be quite cheap.

About the Nurse Quacky wouldn't it be a little feature short also?

JohnL

The SWAW is great. It is the filter I use the most for rhythm guitar, great sounds with chords. The Nurse Quacky is cool but has a bit of a volume loss. I built mine with a LPB board running into it and find it fairly flexible. You can get a good range of sounds from it.