News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Eclipse and Prism builds

Started by lwatford, November 29, 2013, 11:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwatford

just finished up these two builds (well, other than finish), and they're great! Nice boards, pretty easy builds.

Eclipse - Korg SDD preamp. I did the +/-15v build, and I love what it does at the end of a chain of pedals. I used a real Korg SDD for a long time, and this sounds very close to how I remember it coloring the sound.

Prism - Boss FA1 FET Preamp - again, very nice, I like it at the front of the chain, both as a bit of boost, but more so as a tone shaper for different guitars (dull Ric neck pickup, etc).

Still hate those plastic jacks, but I like the size...is there anything better?

Not sure what I want to do for finish on these, I actually really like the "grain" of the boxes...maybe try etching?

diablochris6

Nice work on the internal builds.  My work on the enclosures has been pretty limited (as of now, I have only used paint or stickers on pre-powder coated boxes from Mammoth), but there is quite a bit of room on those boxes for a neat etch.  Etching is a little out of my scope right now; I don't mind huffing lead and playing with electricity, but playing with acids isn't on my list of things to do right now.  People on this board do amazing etch work. 
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

aion

I tried those black plastic ones from Tayda or Mammoth (they're pretty much identical) but went back to Switchcraft #111A and I won't try anything else. I had issues with intermittent connections with the Tayda and Mammoth ones, and the lugs are really flimsy and don't take solder well.

The Switchcrafts are solid and have a nice feel to them when plugging and unplugging. They're a little pricy unless you buy them in large quantities, and I don't know how easy they are to find internationally, but the jacks are the most mission-critical part of the build!