News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Led resistor for Harbinger

Started by billstein, June 17, 2013, 11:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

I'm boxing up the Harbinger tonight and since I'm using a Dunlop 18v psu what value resistor would I use for the LED? Do I just double what I usually use because the power is doubled?

billstein

Pedro Fontacos

This is a good question in general I think.  I've seen everything from 1k to 4k7 used (for 9v designs).  A larger resistance will limit the current and brightness.  I also imagine that different types of LEDS will respond differently to the current going through them.  Just typing out loud, never mind me 😊

stevie1556

All depends on how bright you want the LED really. Personally, I use 4k7 on my 9v builds, mainly because I'm using an old stash of UV water clear LEDs and don't want them too bright.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

angrykoko

Quote from: billstein on June 18, 2013, 05:09:54 AM
N/M 8k2 looks good. :)

Sweet, you saved me from posting the same question :)
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

muddyfox

I always breadboard LED/CLR combo for the particular voltage and LED. In my experience they vary so wildly in brightness (especially waterclear superbrights) that even at 9V sometimes I use 30k+.

davent

Quote from: muddyfox on November 29, 2013, 10:55:22 PM

I always breadboard LED/CLR combo for the particular voltage and LED. In my experience they vary so wildly in brightness (especially waterclear superbrights) that even at 9V sometimes I use 30k+.

Ditto... LED's vary crazily, i've gone as low as 500 ohms and as high as 50K, all running off of nine volts.

Made a box up box (Mark Hammer idea) that switches resistors to find the best match for any particular LED and with ohms law, any supply voltage that will be used. The slider puts a 10k resistor in series with the rotary switch.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?