News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SIP socket for germanium transistors

Started by Gledison, November 13, 2013, 09:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys. had anyone tried to use the SIP sockets for Germanium trannies?
like snapping three of them and soldering together?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

GermanCdn

Yeah, it works fine.  Snap off a set of three, cut the pin off the middle one, and a single at the point, solder them up and you're good to go.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 13, 2013, 09:58:49 PM
Yeah, it works fine.  Snap off a set of three, cut the pin off the middle one, and a single at the point, solder them up and you're good to go.
sorry, Curtis, didn't understand what u wrote...:S :-[
can I just solder one in each pad?
cheers

chromesphere

Depends how much plugging your going to be doing.  I've had those snap before.  The best and unfortunately most expensive socket I have found are the TO 16 sockets on mammoth.  I have one in a germanium transistor tester.  Imagine how many times I have used that sucker and its still holding legs firmly like day 1.  There just really dam expensive :(
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/TO-18-Package-Round-Transistor-Socket-p/620-to18.htm
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

GermanCdn

You can drop one into each pad, it won't make a functional difference.  The reason I do it in a one and three arrange is it's a lot easier to solder because leaving it in a bank of three (with the middle pin cut out) limits the planes to which the socket can be misaligned in, and gives the lone single point something to rest against when your soldering it in.

Chrome makes a good point, the TO-16 work a lot better, and I think Banzai sells them for like 0.24 Euro a piece.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Hey! Yes i used some of them for my Zombii and they r indeed great!
Curtis, at Banzai i found the TO5/39 for €0,86. I just thing that compared to other components the price is too high!
Have u guys ever tried any DIY ideas for sockets? What about this computer plugs, one could use short wires to attach them.... Hmmm, but it might take tooooo much space!;P

chromesphere

Quote from: Gledison on November 13, 2013, 10:50:29 PM
Have u guys ever tried any DIY ideas for sockets? What about this computer plugs, one could use short wires to attach them.... Hmmm, but it might take tooooo much space!;P
I raised this exact question on DSB recently.  Theres some interesting ideas.  Im going to have to try drilling out the pcb a bit and using only the metal part of the SIL socket, and recessing it into the board.  That would prevent the pins from snapping, keep the transistor low, look good, and take up less room:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=104425.0

Paul

davent

I've been popping the pins out of the strips to use as Test Points in various circuits. I drill a hole big enough for the body of the pin and sink them into the PCB. When i get back to building it's how i'm going to socket my Germaniums, that and i'm going to put four pins in a row and jumper the outer two so i'll have an E_B_C_E set-up, be able to use any Ge pin-out arrangement without having to contort the leads to match my socket connections.

Large hole at bottom for pin body and then the topside.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Gledison

Hay Paul, on meanwhile i saw the Dave' s post and is the same idea and the addition of an extra pad is quite clever! Buy i think that has to be introduces previously on the layout!
I will try that! Its a very cheap idea and as Paul said, the trannies will be arranged very low on the Pcb!
Thanks for sharing guys!

chromesphere

No problem Gledison, I actually think this was Davent's idea originally (or someone on DSB) :D Gotta give it a go next fuzz pedal!
Paul