News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

lowrider behavior

Started by pietro_moog, November 08, 2013, 05:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

hi guys. i built a lowrider, and i realized it's not my kind of effect.
the pedal sounds strange, the octave up is fuzz as the demos i heard, and that's fine.
but the two octaves down sound bad. i noticed that this effect likes strong signal and it's not good with long decay.
the octaves down are slow in producing sound and cannot process articulate signal like a chord or a resonating arpeggio. furthermore they wobble with low notes on the lower strings.
i changed all the ics and checked all the resistors, everything is fine.

is this a normal behavior for this pedal?
i don't like it

GermanCdn

I don't think everything is right or wrong in your build, which is the most frustrating situation (I've built two low riders, the first one I couldn't get to behave for the life of me, so I built another one and it worked fine, go figure).

As far as your comments go, the tracking is pretty good on the Low Rider.  Most octaves don't sound great with chords or quick arpeggios; Boss figured that one out with the Super Octave and the Poly setting, but the OC-2 was terrible with chords.  I guess it depends what you were looking for - if you thought you were going to get an 18 string guitar sound out of it (which would be awesome), it's not going to do it.

If you've socketted the transistors, buy a matched set, that was the only change I made between the first and second build, and had no issues with it.  I find the Low Rider is great for lower register riffs (think open A and D strings) in front of a semi dirty amp.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.