News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Making Metal Labels

Started by Gilmourisgod, November 04, 2013, 06:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilmourisgod

I have an image in my head for my Harbinger One enclosure, very 1950's-60s industrial clunky with jewel amp lights, big toggle switches, and screwed-on metal labels. All the metal stamping die sets I've seen have letters around 1/4" high (too big), and I'd need a press to imprint a box this thick anyway. I've see thin aluminum or stainless stock with embossed lettering on tags for valves or machinery. Anyone know how to find one of these gadgets, or a source for something similar?

billstein

I've thought about this same kind of thing. Looking forward to the responses.

Gilmourisgod

I found a gadget on ebay, the Dymo label maker that will accept metal tape, its an obsolete model, but metal tape replacement stock still available. A bit expensive for occasional pedal labeling. Any other suggestions out there.?

alanp

Metal engraving tool and a steady hand? (Very steady...)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Matt

Any company near you that engraves trophies and plaques may be able to do it.
Matt

davent

Aluminum duct tape and some sort of embossing tool.

Playing around here...

...and aluminum tape pedal.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8485.msg73537#msg73537
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Ettore_M

Quote from: alanp on November 05, 2013, 03:35:04 AM
Metal engraving tool and a steady hand? (Very steady...)
Or a desktop CNC machine with an engraving tool! That would be nice... :)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Gilmourisgod

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.Xdymo+1011&_nkw=dymo+1011&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Here's the Dymo model 1011 tapewriter, made for labeling machinery. Now if i can find an old used one for short money, I'm in bidness. (Honey, I spent $150 for labeling gadget I'll probably use five times in the next  5 years!)