News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New album this weekend

Started by icecycle66, October 31, 2013, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Attention Madbean forum.

I've recently finished recording my latest album.

You guys will be the first to hear it. 
Sometime this weekend I'll post it to:

It's a great departure for me.  It's both my shortest album and, rather than metal, it is a jazz album.

midwayfair

Math Jazz! Cool concept. I'd love to hear some about how you went about applying them to each piece. Maybe a blog post?

ch1naski

I really dig "piles"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
one louder.

kothoma

Quote from: icecycle66
Since jazz is generally pretty boring and soulless

Huh? Sorry, would have taken a listen, but didn't get past this line.

aballen

Is that a bit crusher on Pi?

Digging Piles as well... cool concept math Jazz

icecycle66

Quote from: midwayfair on November 03, 2013, 01:36:49 AM
Math Jazz! Cool concept. I'd love to hear some about how you went about applying them to each piece. Maybe a blog post?

Okay, but just for you guys.
Golden Ratio:  All I did was pick a length of time and broke it down in continued fraction form to get three lengths of time.  The clues are a decimal description of the length of time for each segment (3.7 minutes, 2.3 minutes, 1.4 minutes).  Then I just wrote three different songs in the same key to fill the time of each segment. 

Fibonacci: The Fibonacci sequence just dictates the time signature.  A lot of jazz guys do the slap and pop thing on bass and try to make their song sound like some half-assed funk.   So that's what I did. 
In a stretch of imagination, I used the Fibonnacci sequence to dictate what scale I used for this song.  I ended up using Hindu scales.
Meh, here's a picture of how I figured out what scale to use.  It was the closest thing I could find to a matching sequence.  LIke I said, it's a stretch.

Piles:  Glad to hear you guys are digging "Piles".  For all the crap jazz makes, sometimes there are pretty good bits.  I tried to design a song that's enjoyable.  Piles is that attempt. It's just a series of decreasing repetitions. 1234321, 12321, 121, 1.  The rest is just an attempt to be pleasant to the ear. 

Pi: The time signatures are dictated by the squares of the first six digits of pi.  3/4 nine times.  1/4 one time.  4/4 sixteen times, etc.  The bass is playing in the key of Pi.  Each number, zero through nine, is assigned a note.  The bass plays the first 960 something digits of Pi.  Each time a numeral comes up in Pi, the bass plays its assigned note.  Since I didn't have any tribute to Arabia, where so much math was discovered, I had the guitars play Arabic scales.

Primes:  First of all, I just noticed that Primes isn't complete on my website.  Now that's fixed.
This is another simple one.  The time signature and amount of repetitions is dictated by the squares of primes in descending order.

icecycle66

Quote from: aballen on November 03, 2013, 01:42:20 PM
Is that a bit crusher on Pi?

Digging Piles as well... cool concept math Jazz

It's not a bit crusher.
I used a noise suppressor (G-String) to raise the noise floor cut off so high that only the hardest string strikes made it through.  Then I put a chorus, zombie fuzz, and big muff on the guitar to break the signal.  I was trying to go for a blasty saxophone.  I hate horns, so that's the best imitation of obnoxious, unnecessarily loud, and poorly played saxophone sound I could come up with.