News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

So it's time....

Started by ggarms, October 23, 2013, 12:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

To finally box the ZPSDX. I'm a bit nervous about the drilling, even with the template. Do you guys have any suggestions to make sure this goes smoothly? Also, has anyone done this with regular jacks in a bb?  Or should I just get shielded jacks

kothoma

ggarms

And the jacks... Can it be done in a bb with regulars?

kothoma

Quote from: ggarms on October 23, 2013, 02:09:13 PM

Hm. What are regular ones for you?

GermanCdn

I'd suggest overdrilling all your pot holes and switch holes by one on your step bit, just in case your centers are a little bit off.  And truthfully, I'd put it in a 125BB as opposed to a 1590BB if you're worried about space, the extra height will give you a little more room to play with for all of your jacks.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

DutchMF

Quote from: kothoma on October 23, 2013, 01:14:43 PM
Don't drink and drill.

This is some good advice! last night I drilled a box after a couple of beers, and messed up pretty badly. No injuries, but I haven't had the courage yet to check the results while sober........

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

stevie1556

Don't use a drill press while drunk either. You end up trying to grab a spinning box and clamp, it hurts, a lot!

Personally, I line up the template as best I can, mark the holes with a pen, then I measure them using a ruler and use a auto punch to mark the holes. Also, the holes for pots are 7mm, I always do them as 8mm just so I can move them into a slighty better position if the hole isn't perfect.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

ch1naski

You don't have to be drunk. I do it sober. Then I get drunk to kill the pain.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

one louder.

wstimson

Quote from: ggarms on October 23, 2013, 02:09:13 PM

Yeah, you can use open frame mono jacks with it... but it is a really tight fit either way.
A lot of pre-planning.  I used the template, then drilled all the pot and switch holes first at 1/8" then at full size and mounted the board and rechecked that the jacks and stomp switches had enough room.  I don't believe I made any adjustments to them from the drill guide, but I'd still consider it a worthwhile exercise.

ggarms

I definitely had to make the holes bigger... threw together a quick paint job. will clear coat soon.

rullywowr

Quote from: ch1naski on October 23, 2013, 09:30:16 PM
You don't have to be drunk. I do it sober. Then I get drunk to kill the pain.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Totally been there.  Almost took off my thumb when a bit caught in the enclosure and spun the box around unexpectedly.  Use caution with drill presses!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

ch1naski

I did that last week. Thumb still hurts.

Curt.

one louder.

ggarms

its always the half inch bit that takes me for a ride.

jimilee

Bigger washers and a dremel tool are great!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ggarms

Jimi, you're more than correct!