News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weird DMM problem

Started by Gilmourisgod, October 25, 2013, 04:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilmourisgod

I always double check Ohm reading on resistors before soldering them in place. My cheap little Ratshack DMM measures small resisters just fine (220k, 500k, etc.), but I tried to check a 2M2 resistor last night, and the DMM just shows 1.0000, flashing on and off. Is my DMM borked, bad resistor, or is the auto-ranging not working somehow?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Gilmourisgod on October 25, 2013, 04:12:41 PM
Is my DMM borked, bad resistor, or is the auto-ranging not working somehow?

The answers are...

Could be. Could be. and.... Could be  :-\

Do you know what the max is on your Auto range function? Could always try a new (9V??) battery.

Tremster

Whenever someone writes DMM in the subject line on a DIY forum, I never know whether they mean Digital Multimeter or Deluxe Memory Man.

Gilmourisgod

Its the multimeter, must have had this thing for 20 years, finally gone flaky on me. Can anyone recommend  a good replacement? I don't need anything elaborate, just the occasional pedal build or guitar repair. Ratshack has few simple ones under $50, dont know about the quality. Suggestions.?

aballen

I have this one.  Been pretty happy with it, and it even measures hfe.  Which is a function you don't see in a lot of places... Great for making phasers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EOG6078/ref=pd_aw_sbs_4/184-0015055-1499335?pi=SS115

rullywowr

While there are a lot of DMMs out there that will do the job, an Old Timer once gave me some great advice.  In the multimeter world, there are three brands of meters worth buying... Fluke, Fluke, and.... Fluke. 

With that being said, I am extremely satisfied with my Fluke 117.

Just like any tools you plan on using for a lifetime, it may hurt buying a quality tool...but that hurt will only happen once rather than multiple times when that cheaper tool breaks at the worst time.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!