News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB tracks thickness matters?

Started by Gledison, October 21, 2013, 06:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys. Due to the fact that I cant get tin solution to tin my pcbs im using a solder wick for the laborious work. :P quite DIY thou!
some parts of the tracks are probably thicker than others. This could be any trouble? like increasing resistance between two points...? sorry for the stupid question :P
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

rullywowr

In most guitar pedal circuits, you should be fine as long as the tracks were big enough to begin with.  Trace size affecting performance is usually found in RF or digital circuits more so than the analog effects we all love.  Just watch for shorts when you are tinning and use plenty of flux to make the job easier!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Gledison

Quote from: rullywowr on October 21, 2013, 06:27:10 PM
In most guitar pedal circuits, you should be fine as long as the tracks were big enough to begin with.  Trace size affecting performance is usually found in RF or digital circuits more so than the analog effects we all love.  Just watch for shorts when you are tinning and use plenty of flux to make the job easier!
Thanks mate! yes, im using a home made flux solution (love the DIY). Indeed makes life much easier...well, it would be easier with a tin solution...but quite annoying to get the chemicals in Germany...
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

pickdropper

Yeah, within reason it shouldn't matter.  If it is an effect that pulls a lot of current, you may want to look up the minimum thicknesses.  It is very unlikely that you'll run into any issues, but it's a decent practice to check now and again.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper