News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LED Clipping diodes

Started by keysandguitars, November 24, 2011, 09:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

I'm finishing up the Uproar and noticed that the blue LED isn't lighting up at all on either of the three switch settings (SPDT on/off/on). The red LED's both light up as Brian describes on another post. I'm assuming that if the current is passing through the LED, it should light up, at least a little bit. Each of the three posistions sounds different. I had to leave for Thanksgiving, but will swap it out when i get back. Any thoughts?

Other than that, the Uproar is a freakin' beast. It's a definite permanent resident on the board. Happy thanksgiving to all those who celebrate.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

TNblueshawk

Doesn't the forward voltage have to be met for the diode to turn on at least enough to where you can see it? I alao read on another forum sometimes you get some small clipping but you can't see the LED lighting as it is so small.

Might be talking out my butt here  :P
John

nzCdog

My blue LED never lit up either... but I like all 3 sounds in the clipping options so I'm happy regardless

nzCdog

Actually gotta say... try a socketing a TLC2272 opamp if you haven't already.  I read somewhere on this forum that it was worth a try so I tacked a couple of them onto a recent order from tayda.  I originally built my Uproar with 2x 4580Ds, but I much prefer the sound of a 2272 in IC1... distortion is a bit brighter and clearer, while the 4580D in IC2 still adds the warmth for a big sound.  YMMV

keysandguitars

Thanks guys. If you are talking out of your butt, you've got a wise ass.  ;D I was talking to chromesphere and his thoughts were along those same lines regarding the voltage.

Thanks for the opinion nzCdog. I too like all three sounds. I'll have to order that IC the next time i order from anywhere.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

TNblueshawk

Quote from: keysandguitars on November 26, 2011, 01:16:25 AM
Thanks guys. If you are talking out of your butt, you've got a wise ass.  ;D I was talking to chromesphere and his thoughts were along those same lines regarding the voltage.

Thanks for the opinion nzCdog. I too like all three sounds. I'll have to order that IC the next time i order from anywhere.

My wife has been calling me a wise ass for the 25 years we've been married  :D although I don't think it was a compliment  :-\
John