News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

adding a tone control to fuzz

Started by Beedoola, September 29, 2013, 11:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

Is the most straight-forward approach to this to add the tone control at the end of the circuit before the output?

I built a Mellowtone Wolf computer and find it way too trebly through my amp at band volumes. Would a simple BMP tone control on the end of the circuit work to just cut the high frequencies? Here is the WC schematic attached...

derevaun

BMP tone control could have some mid scoop. Another good choice might be the stupidly wonderful tone control.

RobA

You can rig the BMP tone control to not have a mid scoop. You can even give it a mid hump if you want. But, and it's a big but, the BMP TC will knock the output volume way down, and it really needs a gain stage after to recover the loss. Also, the BMP is half treble boost, so that parts going to be pretty useless for what you need here.

Have you tried increasing the value of the input capacitor? That could give you more bass, but could cause problems with the distortion too. It's worth trying.

If simply changing the input cap doesn't work, then looking into the TC's in the link that derevaun gave you would probably be more helpful than a BMP type for what you need.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Another suggestion for TC type is the Rat like tone control.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Beedoola

Quote from: derevaun on September 30, 2013, 03:34:31 AM
BMP tone control could have some mid scoop. Another good choice might be the stupidly wonderful tone control.

this works but I'm wondering if I'm getting the values right. I used a 22nf cap and a 50k pot with a 50k across the lugs to get 25k and omitted R1.

It works with my Wolf Computer clone but I'm loosing some of the oscillation abilities of the fuzz...

Beedoola

I'm still trying to get this right. It seems the control at the end of the circuit takes away from the oscillations - which I use often.

Any other suggestions?