News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ringmodulator based on AD633

Started by kothoma, September 21, 2013, 03:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Do you have any links to one or even just a name? All of the sine shapers I know of are just about the same as what's in the XR-2206 plus you have to build an audio frequency VCO as well. This example is pretty much the level of what I've come across in the synth world,
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

The site has been dead for a long, long, long time but  Electronics 4 Musicians had a few really good, really simple designs. Here's one --
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

kothoma

Hm, this sine wave is only a crude approximation through distorting (wave shaping) the triangle wave.
Don't know if this is good enough.
One could get a better sine out of an oscillating bandpass filter.
On the other hand, some ringmodulators only provide triangle and square wave anyway.

alanp

Not sure there is a good solution that is simple with little to no trimmers. Probably come down to which is least offensive to the ears.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

Thanks for the schematic. I'll check it out and see how well it does. The XR-2206 is using an internal wave shaper on a triangle wave, so the concept itself is OK. I don't know about this implementation though. I could fix the values of two of the trimmers on the XR-2206 and get a reasonable approximation. But, for what I was trying to get from the ring mod, it's fairly important to get a clean sine. Every frequency component in the carrier wave creates its own side bands, and since the guitar signal is already pretty rich in harmonic content, it gets pretty noisy.

The other thing I wanted to be able to do was to sequence the carrier frequencies. It looks like the voltage control here would make that possible.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

jaidee

Have you checked out CircuitSalad's surprisingly flexible and (potentially musical) ring mod?

http://circuitsalad.com/2013/06/23/ring-modulator-pcb-info-and-misc-notes/

It comes as a complete project with an ExpressPCB layout. 

Unfortunately, Express PCB's postage costs to the UK are prohibitive and my attempts a while back to drum up interest for a US-based order failed miserably...

kothoma

Quote from: jaidee on October 05, 2013, 10:55:11 PM
Have you checked out CircuitSalad's surprisingly flexible and (potentially musical) ring mod?

http://circuitsalad.com/2013/06/23/ring-modulator-pcb-info-and-misc-notes/

Hey, thanks for this link. That's an interesting design using an H11M1 optocoupler as multiplier.

Instead of the modulated lowpass (quite expensive MAX7410, and a bit hard to source in non-SMD) on the wet signal I'd prefer to have modulation/control on the carrier frequency. And a sine wave carrier option.

But there are many fine ideas in this design.