News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Acoustic guitar Compression

Started by irmcdermott, February 17, 2011, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Hey everyone,

I had someone ask me today if I could build them a compressor that would be good on both their acoustic and electric guitars. I have never been a fan of compression pedals and acoustics, but do any of you use them? If so, what types of pedals do you like on them. Thanks!

aziltz

I'm designing an acoustic guitar compressor based on a much-modified version of the Orange Squeezer.  I'll be sharing the design when I'm done and making boards as well.

I've found that the key to getting a nice, studio-esque compression sound for acoustic when plugging in is to have a feed-forward design, much like so-called studio limiters (as opposed to the traditional design of the orange squeezer, which is feedback controlled).

I've also found that by limiting the bass that drives the compression element, a nicer, less squashy tone can be achieved.

so, nothing to offer you right now, but I am working on a design.

Also you might want to check out the compulator and bajaman's opto limitier derivative over at freestompboxes.org  They are more similiar to a feed-forward, limiting kind of compression.

irmcdermott

Thanks for the info! I've looked at bajaman's design a while back. I'll revisit it. Looking forward to seeing your design when it's finished!