News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Big Muff variant question

Started by catfud, September 28, 2013, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfud

I've tried a fair bit of web searching but my google-fu is weak today. Does anyone know of a site that has a full set of comparative sound samples of the different variants of the big muff? I've got a mudbunny PCB to play with, and want to decide on one to build.

catfud

Thanks for the reply mike - I had seen that site but it's missing some of the versions such as mayo and creamy dreamer, so I was hoping there might be a site with more variants.

twin1965

Sound samples don't always tell the whole story! You really need to bread board all the variations. See how your guitar, amp and playing style interact with the different variations. I personally love my 73 Rams Head.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Mike B.

Quote from: twin1965 on September 28, 2013, 08:42:54 PM
See how your guitar, amp and playing style interact with the different variations.

Very good advice there.

My first few builds, I soldered in the common components and socketed pretty much everything else, then experimented a bit. That site I linked also has a page with a nice breakdown of what each component does. What I found is that I like sort of a combination of values from the different versions.

twin1965

QuoteI like sort of a combination of values from the different versions

That's the beauty of diy - you can do what you want! Make the effect suit you.

alanp

It makes a good excuse to build MORE big muffs, which is an excuse to have a lot of fun smelling solder and doing metalwork :)

I've built a P19, a ?Lady, and I've got a Green Russian on the boil (waiting on pots, pot covers, and thinking about trying some Russian germs in it for the lolz, if they ever turn up.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website