News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The ultimate build - what would it be?

Started by lars, September 18, 2013, 04:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on September 19, 2013, 01:58:49 AM
If it comes to A/DA, always has to be this one ;D just for laughs, still hoping digi2t and jimiphoton pick one up for their hens tooth thingy, while not the best effect overall, it'd be interesting to see some of the circuit sections.

Piece of cake! You want that in a B or a BB?  ::)  :P  :o

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 19, 2013, 01:04:23 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on September 19, 2013, 01:58:49 AM
If it comes to A/DA, always has to be this one ;D just for laughs, still hoping digi2t and jimiphoton pick one up for their hens tooth thingy, while not the best effect overall, it'd be interesting to see some of the circuit sections.

Piece of cake! You want that in a B or a BB?  ::)  :P  :o

No, we're looking for an updated footprint.  Please bring it down to a 1590a.  I can send some 01005 sized resistors, if that helps.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 18, 2013, 11:16:18 PM
How's my Ada clone working for you Juansolo? ;)

Rather brilliantly :D

I'm about to build the full on Doppelganger when the board arrives from Haberdasher...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

DutchMF

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned before: The end-all DIY build would of course be a pedal that actually improves my playing by about 756% (which would get me in the "average" category.......  ;))

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

calciferspit

Quote from: DutchMF on September 19, 2013, 05:09:14 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned before: The end-all DIY build would of course be a pedal that actually improves my playing by about 756% (which would get me in the "average" category.......  ;))

Paul

I have one of those. Its called a volume pedal and in the off position, I'm stellar.

LaceSensor

Quote from: juansolo on September 19, 2013, 04:34:02 PM

I'm about to build the full on Doppelganger when the board arrives from Haberdasher...

sweet. you wont regret that. the dopp is a legendary pedal.
Im still tempted to try another of the alanp versions with other LDRs etc...

jubal81

How about ...

All the functionality of one of those digital amps (Multi-effects, programs and recall), but with a tube amp and all analog effects.

Put all the circuits in the combo tube amp and have a digitally controlled remote footswitch. Of course, the amp controls, including master voltage, can be changed remotely.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 20, 2013, 12:32:30 AM
Quote from: juansolo on September 19, 2013, 04:34:02 PM

sweet. you wont regret that. the dopp is a legendary pedal.
Im still tempted to try another of the alanp versions with other LDRs etc...

We failed with both of ours (hence the big-un). We did that much track cutting and hacking about with your old board that it was done for when we decided to call it a day. We managed to reduce the ticking a bit, but it was still too prominent. Mine I tried to strip for bits (for the new one) then was going to move the PCB on but I managed to break the PCB removing one of the switches :(

It did however make the decision to build yours. The effect sounds spectacular. So all was not lost.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

kothoma

OK, bigger guitar synths have been mentioned, so probably not the ultimate build, but has anyone here ever tried to build an EMS HiFli clone?

RobA

Quote from: kothoma on September 20, 2013, 07:05:34 PM
OK, bigger guitar synths have been mentioned, so probably not the ultimate build, but has anyone here ever tried to build an EMS HiFli clone?
I hadn't seen this before. It looks interesting. I think it would qualify for an ultimate build.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

lars

Thank you for bringing up the EMS hifli. I remember seeing some pics of this thing quite a while ago but couldn't remember the name. I knew somebody would bring it up for an "ultimate build".

kothoma

Quote from: lars on September 22, 2013, 08:01:49 PM
Thank you for bringing up the EMS hifli. I remember seeing some pics of this thing quite a while ago but couldn't remember the name. I knew somebody would bring it up for an "ultimate build".
:)  There's this hard to read doc: http://jbemond.free.fr/SDIY/EMS/EMS_Hifli.pdf

LaceSensor

On topic, I feel the Lovetone Pedals represent some of the most significant challenges to me personally.
Not only do they have an awful lot of offboard wiring (see the ring stinger and ?flanger for example) but they take tuning, and the right parts to get sounding right, which makes them slightly less "paint by numbers" than other effects projects.

for me the ultimate might be doing the ?flanger at some point...