News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy deluxe tap tempo with Delaytion

Started by gitaar0, August 03, 2013, 02:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitaar0

I have just finished, (With help from William/Moltenvoltage (thanks for that!)),a Delaytion to work with an Aquaboy deluxe with mn3101 and either 2 or 3 mn3005's. It works very well for both and is in fact very easy to do.
So tap tempo with the mv-64 chip works for a mn3005 delay.

When you use the Delaytion you actually bypass the ABDX clock and also the modulation section.
So now I have to decide if I am going to use it for the ABDX or an older Aquaboy with only 2 mn3005's  ;) and box it up.

chordball

Hey man, I just PM'd you regarding this but thought I'd post here as well. I'm very interested in hearing more about this.

midwayfair

Quote from: gitaar0 on August 03, 2013, 02:04:33 PM
When you use the Delaytion you actually bypass the ABDX clock and also the modulation section.

:O

This is exactly what I need for my Aquaboy PCB with non-functioning clock and modulation sections! (Well, I killed the compander, too, but at least that WAS working at one point.)

gitaar0

Chad pm-ed me on how I set up the delaytion.
I have been correponding with William (Moltenvoltage) who has kindly helped me out setting this up.
So here it is:
At this moment I have the Aquaboy deluxe (MN3101 and 2 MN3005's) and the delaytion boxed up and running for a couple of days.  It is working fine now. I had some problems with voltage regulator of the delaytion getting too hot. You really need a To-220 version of the regulator as the delaytion draws 90-100ma. It still gets hot but that is also because I run the whole combination on 9 volt. The ABDX runs from that on 15 volt with a roadrage. The Delaytion needs to run on 9 volt as the buffer sending the clock to the ABDX needs 9 volt (this is a part of the delaytion). It would be better to run the digital part of the delaytion on 6 volt as that would make the 3.3 volt VR of the digital part not get so hot. I might change that later on, but there is no pads for that on the delaytion pcb so I will have to see how I can do that elegantly. There is room so eventually I will change this.
The clock out from the delaytion goes to pin 7 of the MN3101 and pin 5 and pin 6 should be not connected. I did this by using an extra socket for the mn3101 and cut of pin 5 and pin 6. I then desoldered the resistor going to pin 7 on the ABDX board and solderded the clock out on the pad that was now free of that resistor so it connects straight to pin 7.
The clock of the delaytion controls the mn3101 now and that means that the whole modulation part of the ABDX is not working.
I have experimented quite a bit and decided that that is the best working option for me. The modulation on the delaytion sounds great and is programmed in the delaytion presets.
I etched my pcb from the delaytion documentation. I think it would be worth getting the fabbed board. There is quite a lot of jumper wires and of board wiring with the one-sided etch. The fabbed pcb is much cleaner.
The clock is now slower then I had the clock running on the original ABDX build. Delay time is even longer but there is also some clock whine coming in then.
I had the ABDX also running on 3 MN3005's before I started with the Delaytion. That worked fine although much darker.
It works with the Delaytion also. You have to set the chip select different then.
For now I have decided that the two MN3005's works fine.
If I will switch to three MN3005's then I would also put in a switch to switch to two MN3005's. In that case the switch will also have to switch the chip select.
Chad, you wrote that you were working on a adapted BYOC delay with four chips. Remember that if you have the switch for short delay that you have to switch the chip select as well.

Hope this helps.

If I get a chance I will post some pics.
Marc