News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Troubleshooting step one... Power

Started by Dagomaino, September 02, 2013, 04:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagomaino

I completed assembly on a hot chilicon pcb... first issue that I run into is this: plug it in with a Boss style center negative adapter and the nothing works except the bypass... I think it may be an issue with this being a center positive power that I have heard some silicon circuits use, so I plug that in and get LEDs functioning but no sound bypassed or engaged... I am quite a noob with builds but read that the power polarity may affect the signal tip/sleeve polarity so I reverse that on the output, nothing. I double checked my off board wiring for the switch with the build instructions and it looks like it should be good. The build instructions appear to show both grounds going to the sleeve terminal on the input and output jack, but admittedly it is a bit hard to tell. There is no info on the power jack polarity/hook up so I just did it the same as other pedals that I have built with the ground going to the center (screw) terminal and the other wire (9v+) going to the outer terminal.

I guess my goal now is to just get the LED's functioning at the same time as the bypass signal so I can tell if my engaged signal is toubleshooting step two.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated! I googled some pages that kind of address the situation but I'm not really confident that I completely understand what the situation even is.

jkokura

I think your first step would be to disassemble and verify that your circuit works. I don't know what your experience level is, but we highly recommend, especially for beginner to intermediate builders, that they verify the PCB BEFORE they assemble it. We call it "rocking before boxing." This way, you can verify if it's the wiring or the PCB itself that's the issue.

Have you seen our "rules for getting tech help" thread? There's a LOT of good tips available there.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Dagomaino

Yeah, as far as my experience level goes, I have only built four pedals (vero builds) that all worked with minimal troubleshooting so this is my first time with a PCB and possibly more in depth troubleshooting.

I will check out the thread, and try dissembling to test it. I guess it seemed like an off board issue that needed to be checked out before I even got into the onboard issue (if any, cause I don't seem to get the combination of power to the board and signal through the switching to even know if there is an issue with the board). I was just crossing my fingers that this might be an easily identifiable issue to get me to step two...

Thanks.