News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solder? Lead Free? Flux pen? SMD noob...

Started by ThePastRecedes, August 26, 2013, 08:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePastRecedes

Hey there,

I currently use .032 60/40 solder that I bought a pound of from Active Electronics in Ottawa. I lasted me just under a year. I am about to run out and I'm in the mood to try something different.  I've searched around on this forum and there doesn't seem to be any info about lead-free solder. Is it hard to work with in comparison?

I've just bought an SMD PT2399 Delay of pickdropper and have my first go at SMD. Is there a specific gauge of solder you guys prefer? Also I read that flux pens are a necessity when doing SMD work. This is the only one available at mouser (that can be shipped to Canada) would this be okay?

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kester/952D6/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtyU1cDF2RqUBbfted9QYcQxvK4ulH8h7Y%3d

Thanks!
I build stuff for myself, sometimes I do 1 offs, I label them as HornBlende Audio.

haveyouseenhim

I built pickdropper's SMD blue delay with .015''  62/36/2 silver-bearing solder. I didn't use a flux pen, but I should have. I use a syringe filled with flux now.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

pickdropper

For general soldering, I use Kester 0.020" 63/37 0.5MM (0.020") Solder.  It is thin enough for SMT, but thick enough for through-hole.

I strongly dislike the Kester No-Clean Flux pen.  I just don't find it to work very well.  I would try and hunt down a Kester 186 pen.  I would see if Techni-Tool will ship to Canada.  Their solder prices are a lot cheaper than Mouser as well, so maybe that will help offset the shipping cost.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

RobA

I'm using AIM SN100C Glow Core lead free solder now. It's a 0.02" which I agree is a pretty good size for both SMD and through hole. I like it much more than any of the other lead free solders I've tried. It takes a bit higher temp than a 63/37, but other than that I like it as well as using leaded solders. Here's a link to the AIM blurb about the solder http://www.aimsolder.com/products/sn100c/sn100c.

I've found Allied has the best prices on it usually, and since they also have better prices on Vactrols, ordering solder from them gives me an excuse to pop a couple of them in the order too.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).