News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass Overdrive from BYOC

Started by jimilee, November 07, 2013, 03:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Because nothing says Rock and Roll like a big flaming skull! The blend knob is a nice touch I think. The LED is hidden and the knobs are really close together, so knob choice outside of the trash can knobs was / is limited. I think the clear blend knob is appropriate though. The decal is a little worn looking and believe it or not, I did it on purpose. Looks a lot better from 3 feet up than up close.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Isaiah

I just noticed earlier this week that BYOC have a bass overdrive.
How do you like it?
I imagine the bass and treble controls in the overdrive path make it very flexible.
Does it/can it sound "amp-like" (like the ROG Ginger), or is it more of an effect?

I'm building a Colorsound Overdriver and have ordered PCBs to build an OD-820 and an Expandora (which I will maybe wire with a switch to select "Crunch" or "Overdrive").
Hopefully one of them will make a half-decent bass overdrive that can go from "warm & vintage" to more driven QOTSA-like tones.

Very keen to hear your thoughts on this and any other bass overdrives you have built :)

alanp

BYOC boards always look totally bizarre to me, with their weird shapes and odd cutouts for 3PDT's and the like. Mind you, when I saw their site for the first time I got turned off them completely when I saw their shipping policy. (I may have misunderstood it. I most likely did.)

So, how many bass OD's is this? ;) You've got another good lookin' one here!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Very nice build  Jimilee!
Looking forward to trying this one out. I also think bass overdrives work great on guitar.

BYOC kits are very cool IMO.

Only problem being sorting through all the damn resistors you get given with each kit; too used to being able to grab what I need from my organised parts draws!

evildead222

It looks like the skull is chewing on the stomp switch.  the blend knob is sweet it fits perfect and i like how the pcb is cut around the 3pdt.

jimilee

Quote from: Isaiah on November 07, 2013, 08:04:31 AM
I just noticed earlier this week that BYOC have a bass overdrive.
How do you like it?
I imagine the bass and treble controls in the overdrive path make it very flexible.
Does it/can it sound "amp-like" (like the ROG Ginger), or is it more of an effect?

Very keen to hear your thoughts on this and any other bass overdrives you have built :)
So I played it at rehearsal tonight, it sounds very warm like an amp overdrive, and not sterile sounding like the klone, but it can be . I really like the blend knob, I think it's a nice touch. So it is now sitting on my board, I'm still trying to work out where to use it still. But it's a keeper. Also I do have a ROG Ginger board waiting to be built. It's going into a giant multi pedal I think.
Quote from: raulduke on November 07, 2013, 10:12:46 AM
Very nice build  Jimilee!
Looking forward to trying this one out. I also think bass overdrives work great on guitar.

BYOC kits are very cool IMO.

Only problem being sorting through all the damn resistors you get given with each kit; too used to being able to grab what I need from my organised parts draws!
There are mods available to tailor it to guitar, but...., no but I think it would work for guitar nicely, it's a littel more versatile I think becasue of the blend knob.
Quote from: alanp on November 07, 2013, 08:09:08 AM

So, how many bass OD's is this? ;) You've got another good lookin' one here!
Three I think, I still have several many to build, a ROG Ginger and a Godbox fx pcb Carl sent me.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.