News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Yellow Shark 1n4007 substitute

Started by lego4040, August 14, 2013, 08:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lego4040

I am building the yellow shark, Thanks to Haberdasher ;D I have to put in a order for some parts and I wanted to know If I can substitute the 1N4007 with a 1N4001 or the Schottky 1N5817. I have a bunch of those and if I can save a buck or two it'd be nice

Haberdasher

you could just use 1n4001s i would think
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

hammerheadmusicman

I was under the impression that the end number i.e. 4001, 4003, 4007 etc.. is to do with max voltage, and it doesn't really make a difference, for our purposes.

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Haberdasher

i think d3 and d4 are actually clipping diodes in the yellowshark iirc.  i doubt 1n4001 sounds much different than 1n4007, I dunno.
d5 is the one used after the 9v, so as george says one is likely as good as the other for our purposes.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

If you lower the Fv of D5, you'll get a little more voltage. This will let you get a little more headroom and vokumne from the chip, which will then drive the diodes a little harder and clip your signal again. Probably a wash. :)

Fv is identical between the 4001 and 4007 in a 9v stompbox.

lego4040

Im going thru the threads here on some  of  the issueS people have had . 1 being the Volume and the other the gain• Someone mentioned raising 47K to 150K, Volume pot to 100k , Jumping R 11 or even
putting A 1O u f across Rll ( electro or poly ? )Any one have success or other mods. I Know D1&2 are are either green or red as per taste

TNblueshawk

Hey Lionel, I'm pretty sure I have some IN4007's, or I think I do anyway, that I could send your way to ease your mind. If interested PM me.
John

oldhousescott

I made some mods to my Yellow Shark that brought it closer to other versions of the HBOD (and SHOD and Model H OD) found on the web. Details here. I found it made the pedal more useful for my tastes, but others like it as originally released.

lego4040

;DThanks Hawk, I wound up sticking in 1n4001's for this board. I have a second board I will kept true to specs

lego4040

I already noted your changes in my PDF buildout Scott and will try them if Im not happy