News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SAD1024 chip and the Collasolus

Started by TNblueshawk, August 14, 2013, 03:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

Does anyone know if you happen to have an SAD1024, which I do, can I just plug that into this build or are there some things I would need to tweak in order to do so?
John

Haberdasher

doesn't the sad1024 have 16 pins?  if so, that wouldn't work.
bean did a separate layout for the 117 project that uses the sad chip with an etch artwork in it.  I have it on my drive here somewhere.  I can maybe dig it up for you if you want.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Scruffie

Yup, 16 Pins and a SAD1024 daughter board sounds very counter-intuitive  :D

I would ask you to consider purchasing a dead flanger in need of a SAD1024 or selling it to someone in need of one first and using the MN3007 but that's probably going to go on dead ears to a DIYer ;)
Works at Lectric-FX

TNblueshawk

Well shoot, I didn't even bother to look at the SAD chip lately (isn't that sad) because...well...that would make too much sense!  :P

Keefe I appreciate it but no need. I'll just roll with the PCB version I've got for now. If I really dig it and want to build another I may just hit you up, build it and sell it for $5k with the golden chip :D  Ok....I'll just build it and use it instead. Would be a cool comparison I suppose as well.
John

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Scruffie on August 14, 2013, 04:25:57 PM
Yup, 16 Pins and a SAD1024 daughter board sounds very counter-intuitive  :D

I would ask you to consider purchasing a dead flanger in need of a SAD1024 or selling it to someone in need of one first and using the MN3007 but that's probably going to go on dead ears to a DIYer ;)

Know any dead MXR flangers for sale missing a SAD1024 by chance  ;D
John

DutchMF

Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 14, 2013, 04:28:11 PM
Well shoot, I didn't even bother to look at the SAD chip lately

Aawwwwhhhh! A sad chip! Anything I can do to cheer it up?  :D

Sorry, nothing useful to add to this thread, but I couldn't resist! But Scruffies post made some sense (as he usually does!)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

TNblueshawk

Quote from: DutchMF on August 14, 2013, 04:36:56 PM

Sorry, nothing useful to add to this thread, but I couldn't resist! But Scruffies post made some sense (as he usually does!)

Paul

I'm not opposed to Scruffie's idea really. I generally don't navigate through Ebay looking for old broken pedals per se but I'm not opposed to it either. Just not enough time or too lazy really.

And the best way to cheer up the chip would be to have it flanging in a pedal  8)

I think I bought a few from a mod on BYOC a year ago or so who happened to have a bunch of them from several years ago. Figured I'd snag a few while I had the chance kind of thing. I figured I'd find them a home one day.
John

Scruffie

Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 14, 2013, 04:55:31 PM
Quote from: DutchMF on August 14, 2013, 04:36:56 PM

Paul

I'm not opposed to Scruffie's idea really. I generally don't navigate through Ebay looking for old broken pedals per se but I'm not opposed to it either. Just not enough time or too lazy really.

And the best way to cheer up the chip would be to have it flanging in a pedal  8)

I think I bought a few from a mod on BYOC a year ago or so who happened to have a bunch of them from several years ago. Figured I'd snag a few while I had the chance kind of thing. I figured I'd find them a home one day.
I just had a look through ebay for you for A/DA, MXR & EHX flangers, nothing broken right now (although I did see a working electric mistress in Germany that hadn't sold for like 10 euros somehow  :o ) but they do come up.

My reasoning is just because SADs get rarer and rarer every year and people with an otherwise good vintage pedal now have a door stop where with DIY we can just as easily use the still out of production but more plentiful 3007s and still have a nice sounding flanger.
I think Panasonics BBDs suffer a bit less from static sensitivity too so they're less likely to need replacing.

I will admit SAD1024s do have a bit of a different sound though, but is the audience really gunna boo you because you used a Panasonic instead of a Reticon  :D

You scored a few? Nice!  :)
Works at Lectric-FX

DutchMF

Quote from: Scruffie on August 14, 2013, 05:03:32 PM
although I did see a working electric mistress in Germany that hadn't sold for like 10 euros somehow  :o

Could you send me a link to that auction? I've got some friends in germany that would be able to snatch that one up for me/you/who ever!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

TNblueshawk

Thanks for the info Scruffie. Yeah, it's been awhile but it was a trustworthy source and they weren't cheap (can't recall what I gave for them now) or I would have bought several more. I guess I never gave it much thought about buying up an old busted flanger cuz of the DIY mentality but I like your idea. As such I will try to look around from time to time.

Hey, if anyone reading this sees one broken that takes this chip feel free to PM me if you want for that matter.
John

Scruffie

Quote from: DutchMF on August 14, 2013, 05:18:42 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on August 14, 2013, 05:03:32 PM
although I did see a working electric mistress in Germany that hadn't sold for like 10 euros somehow  :o

Could you send me a link to that auction? I've got some friends in germany that would be able to snatch that one up for me/you/who ever!!

Paul
It's finished although I suppose contacting them might lead to something.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/electro-harmonix-vintage-deluxe-electric-mistress-/190882414006?hash=item2c717a7db6

Just noticed it says the listing was ended because the item was lost or broken... wonder if you might have found you a bust one after all  :D

Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 14, 2013, 05:38:19 PM
Thanks for the info Scruffie. Yeah, it's been awhile but it was a trustworthy source and they weren't cheap (can't recall what I gave for them now) or I would have bought several more. I guess I never gave it much thought about buying up an old busted flanger cuz of the DIY mentality but I like your idea. As such I will try to look around from time to time.

Hey, if anyone reading this sees one broken that takes this chip feel free to PM me if you want for that matter.
That's all I do, keep an eye out now and then for broken vintage pedals, come across things now and then but i'm sure with more attention i'd find loads.
Works at Lectric-FX

culturejam

I guess I never gave it much thought about buying up an old busted flanger cuz of the DIY mentality but I like your idea. As such I will try to look around from time to time.

The Ross flanger is the best I've ever played (it's a 1024 circuit). It rules!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Scruffie

Quote from: culturejam on August 14, 2013, 06:40:15 PM
I guess I never gave it much thought about buying up an old busted flanger cuz of the DIY mentality but I like your idea. As such I will try to look around from time to time.

The Ross flanger is the best I've ever played (it's a 1024 circuit). It rules!
That is an MXR flanger copy isn't it? Seem to recall that being the case but it's been a while.
Works at Lectric-FX