News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Running multiple amps - how?

Started by rjkanejr, August 13, 2013, 01:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjkanejr

I just bought an second amp.  I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and just got MArshall MG50dfx.  Although the Marshall is solid state it sounds great.  It has a very crisp warm clean tone and channel two is crunchy crunchy crunchy.  So I have stereo etc, tc nova mod, tc flashback and a timefactor so I can run stereo.  I was looking for advice, tricks and tips on how to wire this.  I've read about using an an switch and not running stereo,  it can't figure out how to use the same effects in different effects loops.  I've also read that one can run into the front end of one amp then out the loop send and into the pedal board then left out  into the loop return of the first amp and the right out into the loop return of the second amp.   Anyone out there run two amps.  How are you doing it?

jkokura

The two most common ways to run effects and multiple amps is to:

1. Have everything in front - For this, use a stereo effect at the end to send the signal to both amps. This gives a stereo image, especially if you leave some space between the amps. Unfortunately, if you use an amp for 'dirty' tones, and the other for clean, you will have delay, reverb, and anything else you run going INTO the dirty amp just like the clean amp. Won't sound quite the same.

2. Running effects in front of the amp and in the loops - For this, you again run pedals into both amps and then split the signal (either using a stereo pedal, or a splitter). From there, Running effects in the loops of the amps is a bit tricky. The best way to do it is to use stereo effects in the loops. So, clean amp runs to the L side of the effects, and dirty amp runs to the R side of the effects. All the effects are on both amps. Another way to do it is to just have those loop effects on one amp, which can be cool because you can run some effects in one amp (say, trem and digital delay) and other effects in the other amp (say, Flanger, Chorus, and Analog Delay). There IS a way to switch effects from one loop to the other, however, it requires you to run effects through ONE amp at a time, not both at the same time.

Truth be told, I love the first method if I'm using the same amp. The second method only really makes sense if you're using one amp as a clean amp and the other dirty. Mileage may Vary.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals