News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sonic Titan

Started by angrykoko, August 23, 2013, 12:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

For those of you who built one.. how do you like it?
From the videos it sounds great (esp the purple version), almost a loose type distortion.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

soldersqueeze

I built up a Dr Gonzo which is raulduke's version of it with some cap mods, and I adore it. It's a good little crunchy OD at low settings, but cranked up it nails a thick, broken amp explosivo-tone I love. Can be really nasty, but not in a metal way. I think raulduke described it as stoner-rock friendly, and I think that's about right.
Go for it. They're simple and awesome

angrykoko

Quotestoner-rock friendly
yeah that's what I was hearing in demos which is why I was drawn to it. 
Yeah it's simple,  I'll have to give it a go.

Is there any data about the different versions (I'd like to start with the purple version's values).
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

angrykoko

QuoteI built up a Dr Gonzo which is raulduke's version
Another one I totally missed.. what rock was I under to miss this and Jon's trem.

Thanks!

soldersqueeze

Quote from: angrykoko on August 23, 2013, 12:50:49 PM
Is there any data about the different versions (I'd like to start with the purple version's values).

Not sure, I looked around and didn't find much. They layout at tagboardfx is pretty raw in so much as it omits power filtering, input cap and pulldown resistor. Maybe these are what vary on some of the DAM builds? Also, I've not checked out how the biasing of the tranny effects the sound, so this could be part of it too. Raulduke's version switches between values for the 4n7 coupling cap connected to leg 3 of the IC. Increasing the value adds more bass to an already bass-heavy pedal :)
I think at the end of the day, any version is going to sound pretty darn good.

muddyfox

Quote from: soldersqueeze on August 23, 2013, 12:13:51 PM
I built up a Dr Gonzo which is raulduke's version of it

Never mind, found it...

angrykoko

I also found a  Behemoth layout for it.
Still haven't built it yet though.

selfdestroyer

Anyone happen to have the build doc for the Gonzo? I would love to see the differences from the Behemoth layout I have.