News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

which OD to build next

Started by the3secondrule, February 02, 2011, 03:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

Need some advice here - looking to build myself a nice, low gain (ie low drive), transparent overdrive, with plenty of volume on tap... can you guys recommend an MB project?

I've heard the Jetter Helium is what i'm after, so something along those lines I guess - but i'm open to suggestions
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Haberdasher

I think the Silverfox is awesome.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

Lots of them fit the description. Can you tell us what you have already?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

the3secondrule

yeah, the silver fox seems to come highly reccomended -

I have a couple of Boss SD-1s that i have modded beyond recognition, a couple of hotcakes, a dean markley tube overlord as well as a serendipity + Deadringer that i'm pretty happy with - but the seredipity is currently in my bass rig, and I prefer the deadringer for more Heavy OD...

So yeah... Thoughts?

jkokura

Sunking or Neutrino.

Sunking is a lot more transparent. It brings an extra 'something' to the table that I really love. The Neutrino is like a Tubescreamer, which obviously will enhance the mids quite a bit if you'd like.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

The only caveat with the Sunking is that it does emphasize some mid-range. With the Silverfox you have a bit more control in shaping the EQ with it's multiple internal trimpots.

Actually...I really need to build the SF up again. Not sure what I did with my original board!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

the3secondrule

Quote from: gtr2 on February 02, 2011, 11:50:06 AM
What amp are you using...?

I use at various times a Jansen Bass 50 (NZ made 70's clone of a fender bassman), an Epi valve Jr and a Hotrod deluxe. I have plenty of tubescreamer derivatives, so my midrange needs are well covered... probably looking for something a little flatter EQ-wise  ;D

Still leaning towards the Silverfox i reckon...

gtr2

Don't rule out the aristocrat..  It really likes my fender amps anyways..  There just isn't a ton of volume on tap like you want.  I have a Tim pedal and it does the barely overdriven sparkle a little better, but for slightly more light breakup the aristocrat is on my board instead.  It stacks excellent for leads with other pedals like the bb preamp.  Tone for days...  If I were to build the aristocrat again I would only build the single channel version though.  I'm not into its higher gain overdrive and I don't use it as a boost.  I usually just use one channel anyways.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

B_of_H

sunking ( but I don't really use it for much breakup, just more of a clean booster)

in a band mix I think it really has the ideal sonic real estate so to speak, love it so much I built 4.   

highway jones

I absolutely love the Aristocrat but, the smaller version may not have the volume you want.  If you need volume, build the dual version and use the boost for the first stage.

B_of_H

Quote from: the3secondrule on February 02, 2011, 12:15:29 PM
Quote from: gtr2 on February 02, 2011, 11:50:06 AM
What amp are you using...?

I use at various times a Jansen Bass 50 (NZ made 70's clone of a fender bassman), an Epi valve Jr and a Hotrod deluxe. I have plenty of tubescreamer derivatives, so my midrange needs are well covered... probably looking for something a little flatter EQ-wise  ;D

Still leaning towards the Silverfox i reckon...

I missed this post, but I still think the sunking is better than a TS style pedal for a light OD with a little extra mids.  TS's tend to push upper midrange while the sunking seems a little more focused in the mid-mid-range or what I think of as 400 to 500hz (which may or may not be the case technically for all I know)

Myramyd

Hey Guys,

(Hopefully this is on topic--if not I can start a new thread.)

How does the Sunking do on the low frequencies? I'm currently using a BYOC OD2 as an overdrive in front of my Marshall as my main rhythm tone. I use it with the mids "flat" and the clipping on "off" and it cuts the low end a bit more than I would like. I have the drive about center. It feels like it has too many highs and not enough lows. It cuts well but it's just a little too much ear splitting at times.

So, I've been thinking about this same question, building a lower gain OD and transparent to try in place of this. I just got a Serendipity board from the Holiday PIF that may fit this bill but, I am curious about the Sunking also.

J