News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How crap is crap?

Started by Gledison, July 13, 2013, 08:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys,
after testing my pcb and everything working fine was time for boxing.
my Ts808 was working fine for a couple of minutes...
I've notice some problem that was a kind of bad grounding..
after 2 hours without finding the problem, I noticed that the bloody input mono jack was f£$%6"%£$ed!
when the jack was tight to the enclosure, than it decides to connect by itself the sleeve with the tip! :(
than I remember when I ordered them months ago. I got the chep ones (not the cheapest) from UK electronics. I thought, lets see how it will go! NEEEEEEEver anymore! Is really crap! even soldering is difficult. Why people sell this crap if is not gonna work anyways!
So, for you noobs like me , lesson learned: By good stuff!!! mainly this conections that need to be used all the time!
jizzz, and I was thinking that a couple of Volts on my IC pin 3 was the problem...ahhhhhhhhhhrg!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

DutchMF

This is the best thread title I've seen in a while.... Don't want to offend you, but this is going to keep me laughing the rest of the weekend!!! But still, lesson learned, not? Keep doing it, I assure you it will get better, but nothing, be it education, or experience, or wisdom, or plain karma, will keep you from making stupid mistakes! Everyone who say's otherwise isn't honest to himself.... We all do it, so lets laugh at it!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

gtr2

I never cheap out on jacks...

Been there done that  :D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

atreidesheir

Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

GermanCdn

Don't buy the cheap ones from banzai either, they are absolute garbage.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Its so stupid that shops that sell pedal kits, etc offers such kind of crap jacks!

GermanCdn

If you are going to buy kits, buy them from musikding, Klause takes pride in his kits.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 13, 2013, 10:04:32 PM
If you are going to buy kits, buy them from musikding, Klause takes pride in his kits.
thanks for the tip, but Im trying to do everything from scratch :P
what are the best cost/benefit  mono/stereo jacks?
cheers

GermanCdn

midwayfair

Quote from: gtr2 on July 13, 2013, 09:07:26 PM
I never cheap out on jacks...

Been there done that  :D

I actually LOVE the Tayda jacks and prefer them to many a more expensive jack, but I do always test their fit. They're easier to pull a plug out, but not as easy as a plastic jack.

davent

If you're in Canada, from Electrosonic you can get Neutrik NYS229's for less then 60¢(cdn) each in quantities of 10 or more. They've been out of NYS230's (stereo) for quite some time but when in stock you can get them for under 70¢ each.

Done the cheapy headbang and will only use Neutrik's and Switchcraft where it counts.

http://www.e-sonic.com/acc/products.aspx?command=detail&partID=NYS229&partIDExt=319

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Gledison

I've just changed for a couple of switchcraft and they semm pretty robust and easy to solder on it!
The Tayda seems pretty good price thou! If they are good , why not!